Tuesday, January 05, 2010

Hell to the NO.


You know it's been a long, loooong time since you've been to the local mall when you walk inside and don't recognize half of the stores. I was distressed to see the book store was closing up, but you can't believe how high my eyebrows went when I saw the newest addition to the store line-up:

A Puppy Store.

Not a pet store. Not even a dog store. Nope. A Puppy Store. Complete with adorable, waggly balls of fluff that await your impulse purchase. Placed ever-so-carefully just between the playland and its nearest exit, the Puppy Store beckons to every family with smallish children to come on in! Adore our puppies! Support the inhumane breeding of pets!

That damn puppy store at the mall may be reason enough to never go there again. I could feel my resolve to remain Dog-Free begin to waver as their puppy-milled tails wagged so exuberantly that they knocked themselves over.

Corinne's nose was pressed against the glass; her breath fogging up our side while the pups slobbered on their side. I could practically see her mind spinning and envisioning the hours and hours of fun she could have with one of them; Tug-of-war with a sock! Wonderful walks to the park! Snuggles on the couch! Oh, the joy!!! Meanwhile, I was envisioning the holes in the laundry from tug-of-war! The forced walks through the howling snow and wind to the corner with a baggie to carry the poop! And the endless dog hair that would blend so nicely with the car hair that already coats every surface in my home...

"Oh Mommy! Can't we pleeeease get a dog? PLEASE? I love doggies so much! And they love me, too! They're so Cute!!"

Thankfully, I've survived through 2 other four-year-olds' pleas for a canine, and (cute or not) I KNOW how much work a dog entails. To that I say HELL NO. Potty-training another living creature? Committing to the care of yet ONE MORE "person" who not only won't pick up after themselves but will remain perpetually 3 years old in its abilities?!? Dogs are great and all, and there may come a day when I want to own one again, but the idea of being tied down to the house just when we're finally able to randomly leave the home regardless of naptimes, diaper bags and school schedules is not appealing to me. Not. At. All.

"How about we stop at Taco Bell instead?"

Her head tilted and lips pursed a bit. Giving the yapping beagle a quick glance, she grabbed my hand and pulled me towards the door,

"Can I have one with hot sauce? But no tomatoes?"

Go wag your tail in some other direction, guys. This house is remaining Dog Free.

29 comments:

Jeni said...

Agreed. I find nothing appealing about adding a hairy/shedding/pooping element to our household. My husband says maybe in five years. I say maybe never.

Susan (5 Minutes For Mom) said...

Oh my goodness... that is AWFUL that they put a PUPPY store in the mall. That is just terrible. Sooooo awful.

And about the work involved... you're not just whistling Dixie. Oh my goodness... Janice just got a puppy for Jackson and it's unbelievable how much work having small kids AND a puppy is. Yikes.

Mom24 said...

That's really awful. Full disclosure, we have succombbed twice to mall dogs. Luckily, in our case, they turned out to be great dogs. Pure luck, and I'm much smarter now.

Still, you're right, a dog is a lot of work, although I find 3 children at home definitely helps. :)

Star said...

We go through the same thing every now and then, but in our house, it's the husband who is doing the 'begging' for the puppy, while I know he won't be home enough to care for it, and it would become my dog!!

Eternal Lizdom said...

puppy vs taco bell... classic!

I stopped shopping in malls a while back. I worked in a couple of them over the course of several years and... I just can't stand it. The pet stores, the candle stores, the clothing stores... it's all too much for me. I tend to do most of my shopping online- but I've yet to find a place to order a dog from online. Hmmmm... If my local humane society would deliver, I might be more likely to adopt another dog!

Unknown said...

Now there is a child who has her priorities straight.

Gucci Mama said...

A puppy store next to the toy store? That is an evil concept.

Kamis Khlopchyk said...

I am so with you on this. Thankfully my parents just got a puppy. All the fun, none of the poop.

Unplanned Cooking said...

That makes me sad. I always feel sad for those dogs caged up at pet stores, especially after reading about pup mills.

P/F said...

Not any kind of fan of pet selling stores either. We found our dog from a local rescue organization, and she is a huge pain, so she fits in perfectly. We wouldn't have it any other way. Also knowing that she's liable to chew any toy they leave out gives the kids a reason to actually put their things away. Next time we're getting a 'blonde' dog. Black hair on everything sucks.

AiringMyLaundry said...

I'm with you, no dogs in this house. I know I'd be stuck taking care of the thing.

Pregnantly Plump said...

I agree! Unfortunately, my husband LOVES dogs. I have a feeling tht in about a year, we will be housing 2 small boys, 2 cats and some form of stinky dog.

Sue said...

I totally hear you. In a weak, deranged moment I said "yes" about a month ago, and now we have a dog. In my case, though, it was my husband who was begging.

CaraBee said...

My husband loves dogs and keeps trying to get me to agree to getting one. NO WAY. I'm the one that would have to care for the beast. Maybe some day, but not while I'm still dealing with diapers and such.

Good for you on being strong!

Manic Mommy said...

I just had to stop between reading and commenting to let our puppy in the back door. This is not to say she used the opportunity to relieve herself. She reserves that for the living room rug. GOOD MOVE!

mep said...

Nice move diverting with Taco Bell.

We are supposedly getting a dog in a few years when our kids are a little older. I've never had one before, have no idea what to do with one, and just try to ignore the whole thing for now.

At my childhood mall, the pet store was right across from the Cinnabon and I have strange and unpleasant memories of the two scents melding.

kailani said...

Kids are so easily distracted . . . thank goodness!

Cynthia said...

Firmly in the no dog camp here. I can't pick up poop for any other creature:/

Daisygirl said...

oh the puppy store is the worst!!! My kids understand we won't be getting any dogs but just going in and seeing their faces so happy...stupid mall people! There are certain stores I have to avoid, Build a bear, the puppy landing place, and the messy toy store!
I wish Taco Bell would work for me ;)

Tonya said...

I am in the same no dog boat too. The kids want one so bad though. Nope. NOT. GOING. TO. HAPPEN.

E... said...

My Scout dog is 12 and a half, and is so low maintenance she should have been a cat. My husband loves to talk about the day when she is gone (I know. Mean.) and he can get the dog he really wants, one that will actually chase a ball and such. I say that's fine, as long as he really takes care of it.

Laski said...

I took JR to the local shelter. I ALMOST went home with one . . . but being that I would like to stay married a little longer, I left with my bawling 2-year-old and a promise that he'd have his very own "Bolt" in about five or so years when he has worn his daddy down.

Kristi said...

That store is disgusting. Actually, it's beyond disgusting. I'm sure you know how those puppies ended up there. Ugh-I hope they're shut down soon.

As for the dog decision, I'm with you. Completely. We have three cats, who are generally low-maintenance, but who barf more than the average cat, which makes for a lot of cleanup. They are old, and we've had them forever. When they go to the big scratching pad in the sky, they will not be replaced by another creature-animal or human.

Kat said...

There are times I really want a dog and then there are times when I too say, HELL NO! I'm sure we will get a dog eventually. Just not now. I'll take some Taco Bell too please! :)

*~(boom)~* said...

Are you kidding me? A puppy store?

Last time I went into a pet store (and it was JUST a pet store, mind you) I went home with a chihuahua. One who steals socks and licks discarded underwear.

Stay strong... ;)

Sarah said...

I succumbed to the pressure 2 years ago...when pregnant. I have the smallest, easiest, cleanest, non-doggish dog you can buy. But Taco Bell is still WAY easier.

Tim Jones said...

We have been really tempted, recently to get my 4 yo daughter a dog. I think you just convinced us, otherwise. Thanks for the great, hilarious post.

OHmommy said...

Ive been to a mall with a puppy store inside it. HORRIBLE. To not only see the "older" puppies marked down to crazy cheap prices but to tease children like that located next to the GapKids. Grrrr....

sheila said...

As the owner of two big dogs I say to you....GOOD CHOICE...Keep walkin!

Kids always want a puppy til they figure out it needs to walk, eat and poop often.

I hate those puppy stores. I feel so bad for those little guys.

Related Posts with Thumbnails