Monday, December 07, 2009

Traditions Schmaditions

Sometimes traditions have to be altered. Or put on hold. And sometimes your kids can teach you a real lesson in learning to realize that the traditions themselves aren't what's important as much as the time spent together.

I was severely bummed that we couldn't afford to go to the tree farm this year (as in, pouting like a child). I thought we could. I even posted below that we WERE going, no matter what. But when the bills came in before we headed out on Sunday morning, I knew that the extra $20 for the tree farm tree and gas for 45 minutes in one direction just wasn't smart right now. So, we headed to Menards and got a tree that was just as good as any tree we would have gotten from the beautiful tree farm. Though Menards didn't have the hay wagon, hot cider, sugar cookies and gorgeous, rolling farmland surrounding it, it DID have an indoor playground that the kids just about DIED over. And though I might have felt a little bit silly taking pictures at MENARDS, I brought the camera anyway. And I snapped away whenever a salesperson wasn't staring at the crazy lady with the camera in the garden area. Menards or tree farm, I was documenting the finding of the family Christmas Tree.

Behold...Cutie pie. Rawr.
Egg Nog smiles before bed...

It's the small things that I am having to give up or alter that are making me realize that no matter how bad things may appear to me, I am still blessed. My family still HAS a tree this year, though many would consider it a luxury. Though fewer and less expensive than years in the past, there WILL be presents beneath that tree. Though it's a rare treat to be able to purchase Egg Nog for my kids, I CAN do it, and they are able to appreciate it all the more since they taste it that much less. Though we may have to change the way we celebrate and live our lives, we are STILL celebrating and living and that is more than most of the world is able to claim.

We are blessed. We are blessed. We are blessed...

20 comments:

Menopausal New Mom said...

Absolutely right! I love that you were able to make getting your tree still a memorable occasion for the kids. Well done, just like a good mom does when she has to stretch every dollar!

Kristin said...

amen. I needed to read this today

Adaptable Kay said...

That's beautiful! And very true-Even though you weren't able to go to your traditional tree farm, it looks like you guys still had a good time picking out a tree :)

There is always next year!

AiringMyLaundry said...

Awesome tree!

You are definately blessed.

mep said...

Great attitude and great post. You are so right that it is the living, celebrating, and being together that matter most.

CaraBee said...

We went through some rough years when I was a kid. We went from having a big fancy house and multiple shiny cars to a teeny house and my mom driving a 20-year-old $200 Buick. Truly. And while I *know* that those were lean years, I don't remember them as bad. The quality of our life is not defined by how much we had but how we lived it. Thus ends my greeting card quote for the day.

CaraBee said...

PS - What is Menards?

Kamis Khlopchyk said...

This gave me chills. Simply because your outlook is outstanding. May you weather these hards times with this positive attitude and be repaid one hundred fold!!

xoxoxo

Gucci Mama said...

Very blessed indeed. I seriously admire your attitude and your outlook.

tracey.becker1@gmail.com said...

Menards is a chain of home maintenance and stuff. Like Home Depot.

Unknown said...

Traditions are nice - but memories are made from time together - traditional or not.

Kat said...

Yes. You are blessed. :)

sheila said...

Hey, a trees a tree. I bet the one you got was way WAY better than the other. Plus, there was a playground. Good memories. And egg nog. Good times.

Debbie said...

You ARE blessed. And will continue to be.

This is a great post.

Hannah said...

You are definitely blessed, Tracey!

What your kids will remember the most is that your whole family went on a fun outing to purchase the Christmas tree, and that their Mom & Dad made it exciting and memorable. They won't mind that you went somewhere without hot cider and cookies - they will just have that wonderful memory of being together, of doing that together. You're an amazing Mom!!!

Daisygirl said...

Thanks for this post, this is something many people need to hear this holiday. I love how you documented your tree experience.

Kristi said...

Great post. And oh so true.

Star said...

It is great making new traditions, or variations on old ones!!

P/F said...

Every time we pass one, my husband exclaims, "Oh, Menards!"

He's lucky that I'm also immature, so I don't judge.

Unplanned Cooking said...

Beautiful post. And if your kids are anything like mine, this will end up being one of their favorite childhood memories. Who doesn't get excited over an indoor playground?

Related Posts with Thumbnails