Friday, October 30, 2009

T Minus 56 days and counting...


How is it that Halloween is like, TOMORROW?

Wow. This month has flown by.

Which means (choking on my stolen Snickers bar) that Christmas is 56 days away.

(inhaled the nougat filling over that...) I need a drink.

Trying to shake off the millions of fears that I have for this winter and focus on today. Trying to focus on Now.

Now, which involves my kids having a sleep-out on the family room floor, watching Pokemon together after another decent day of homeschool. Listening to them hang out. Remembering the hour-long "monster" game they played that had all 3 of them laughing hysterically. Wiping the happy wetness from my cheeks over the love I have for everyone under this roof.

Now, meaning the fairly full pantry and fridge. The rare treat of bacon for breakfast (thank you Papa) which made all of their eyes light up in anticipation.

Now, because everyone I love is healthy and here. We have a roof over our heads and clothes on our backs. This won't be the best holiday season because of gifts received, but hopefully? Hopefully it will be the best holiday season because of the gratitude we can find for the blessings we DO have.

I'll still be stressed. I'll still cry every day over things I cannot control. But my goal is to focus on the things that ARE within my control. My goal is to stay above the depression that never fails to accompany the retreat of the sunshine from our state. My goal is to LIVE my life TODAY instead of desperately attempting to insure that tomorrow will be better...

~~~~

Hope your Halloween is fun and safe! Hope OURS isn't as rainy as I think it will be!!

15 comments:

Type (little) a aka Michele said...

Stay Strong. XOXOXO

Kat said...

Wonderful positive attitude. Sometimes that is all you can control. Well done!
Prayers for you!

Gettysburg Mom said...

I've started Christmas shopping already. I woke up at 2:00 in the morning a few weeks ago in a panic about how I'd pay for it and have decided to spread it out over the next two months.

How'd you get a filched snickers bar before Halloween. I'm eagerly awaiting Greeley's haul tonight. You know, those two year old's can't eat a lot of that stuff. It just wouldn't be safe. Bwa ha ha ha!

Manic Mommy said...

Happy Halloween! My grandmother always said "don't borrow trouble." Focus on all the chocolate about to make its way into your house...

Unknown said...

You, too!

I feel exactly the same way as soon as the north wind starts blowing. I hope the season is a healthy and safe one for you and your family . . .

Tracie said...

Great attitude! Sometimes that is half the battle!

sheila said...

56? You've GOT to be kidding me. Great. Christmas Eve is our turn this year (our house). Damnit. With this economy the last frickin thing we can do is afford to host a party.

Your pic looks real cute though. When you're freaking out, trust I'll be too.

Miss Yvonne said...

I'm adopting your attitude this year. Things are tough for us right now and sometimes I can get caught up in the unimportant parts of the holidays.

Debbie said...

You have such a positive attitude Tracey!

I think a lot the world could learn a thing or two from you about what's really important at Christmas.

Your family is healthy, happy, and love each other. What a wonderful gift.

anymommy said...

Not to mention Thanksgiving. Gulp. You have an excellent attitude, the winter is hard for me too.

Daisygirl said...

Happy Halloween, hope you and your family had a fun evening.
I completely appreciate your attitude about life.

Kristi said...

Beautiful post, Tracey. Bottle your positive attitude and I will buy it from you by the gallon.

the mama bird diaries said...

Good advice. Hope you had a great halloween.

CaraBee said...

I hope it didn't rain too much on your Halloween. It rained here. We got TWO trick or treaters. We now have three bags of candy left to eat. Sigh.

I honestly don't remember a single present from my childhood. I do remember: singing carols on Christmas Eve, big giant dinners Christmas afternoon, hanging out with my cousins, laying under the glowing Christmas tree. In other words: the intangibles. The presents are just icing and your children will never remember a lean year or two nearly as much as all of the love you shower on them.

Hugs!

Cynthia said...

I can't even think about the holidays...I had a great Halloween though, hope you did too;)

Related Posts with Thumbnails