Wednesday, February 11, 2009

One of those posts where you THOUGHT you knew where it was going, but it took on a life of its own and you are too lazy to try to find more cohesion..

And so, the freezing rain and dark skies have returned. But not before I got a good dose of what's just around the corner. I can wait a bit longer for that gorgeous weather.

Now if I could just keep the ENTIRE household healthy until Justin's family party on Sunday, I'll be golden. (typed as Corinne hacks up a lung in the family room...)

Speaking of parties, I am now 100% certain that slumber parties/sleepovers are for special occasions. And while the kids all had fun, and nobody went home early (though one boy had the phone in his hand around 3 am. I talked him down from it...) it was exhausting! The absolute best idea I had was to pawn my other kids off somewhere else. Corinne got a sleepover at Nana and Papa's and Evan got his FIRST sleepover at a friend's house (backyard neighbors!), so nobody felt left out.

My boy. Justin.... He's changed so much. I cannot believe the way he let the unplanned situations at the party just roll off his back! Things that would have ruined the party for him just 2 or 3 years ago were no big deal. Very little sleep and friends not wanting to watch the movies you picked? Getting a duplicate present and having your asthma act up? "No problem, Mommy. Let's just have fun!" He was like any average (almost) ten year old boy!

Having dealt with his emotional/anger/attention issues (Executive Functioning) for so many years, I am left wondering when or IF I'll ever be completely comfortable and accepting of the fact that he HAS matured. That all of his brain's lobes are growing at an equal rate. That he is closer to "normal" than "high maintenance." So much of my early years of parenting were spent trying to plan, plan, plan around his needs. Such a huge portion of time devoted to explaining and consoling, apologizing and worrying, crying and yelling... To find myself at the point where I EXPECT him to behave and am not SURPRISED is a daily miracle...

Not going to question a good thing. It's not like we're out of the woods with him yet. There are still issues and scars that he and I work on every evening. Organization, accountability, controlling impulses... These are remarkably better than before, but still needing extra attention.
But I try not to dwell on the negatives when it comes to my eldest. If he can make so many changes in such a short time, I am positive that in the next 2-3 years he can achieve the standards we ALL want for him.

13 comments:

Jamie said...

How cool Tracey! I'm so happy to read this about Justin - and you. You have such a positive outlook on things, and you are an amazing mother. Or at least it appears so on your blog. :) But seriously, I have much to learn from you.

Melissa said...

That's fantastic! He really has made some great progress.
We haven't done a big sleepover yet... it scares me! :)

Mama Smurf said...

I've never heard of "Executive Functioning" before. That was a new term for me. Thanks for the education.

PS. I. HATE. Sleepovers. With a passion. Seriously.

Kat said...

Aww. That is great news! It makes the party all worth it when it presents the opportunity for you to see how well he is adjusting and growing. Yeah!

Anonymous said...

It really is fantastic read how much Justin has changed! And you have a great attitude about it - you acknowledge the progress so far, but are brave enough to admit there are still a few things to work on. But being happy about what's happened so far, that's the most important part. Don't worry about the future. I know you (and he) will get there, because you've got the right outlook!

Jen said...

The whole idea of a sleepover with a number of my children's friends is making me break out in a cold sweat. Thankfully, I have a few years yet.

Badness Jones said...

That's wonderful! I'm so happy for you both.

The Princess has been asking for a sleepover with friends, but she's only 5 and to be honest I'm not sure I'm ready!

Anonymous said...

It is never ending, that amazement you'll see from year to year! You thought the changes are cool from birth to 10? Wow, watching them become adults is very, very cool!

Allison said...

In some weird way, I am kinda looking forward to the time when "the boyz" can get together for a big sleepover. Sounds like a great time. also Sounds like you are reaping the rwards of your years of great parenting and patience with Justin. Good job

Tonya said...

I'm so happy that it all worked out good. And isn't it crazy how they grow and change?!

Jess Kiley said...

Love your scrappin'!

CaraBee said...

That is great! I hate change, but I think that is the kind that is good to have.

anymommy said...

If he can hold it together during a sleepover (ick, dread them), then he really does have a lot of self control.

I'm so happy to read the happiness in this post.

Related Posts with Thumbnails