Friday, January 30, 2009

Finding my silver linings...

Things to be upbeat about:

1. On Saturday, my mother and I are taking Corinne and my 2 nieces (who are also 3 years old) to see the Disney on Ice World of Fantasy show at the United Center. Yet another reason to be thankful for the opportunities that blogging brings! My wallet may be bare, but my "hobby" allows me to enjoy a magical night with 3 giggling girls.

After realizing that the second half of the show was entirely about Tinkerbell, I decided to leave the boys at home with Daddy and just take the little girls and my mom out for this fun night. Plus, the little ones will be happy with fruit chews and sippy cups instead of begging for pizza and pop and everything that the boys would be hoping for. (though, I have to admit, the United Center DOES have some good pizza....)

2. My van door ISN'T broken! We tried to get into the van this morning and the lock wouldn't fully lock or unlock, so the door couldn't open. JOY! I had to have Justin climb through the middle door with his brother and all I could picture was getting in an accident and not having that front door available to escape through. This is how my brain works...

I was thrilled, to say the least, at the thought of spending more money we don't have to fix it or just climbing around through the back door for months and months. Well, when I got home from dropping the boys off, I decided to give it one last shot. I pretended to be a locksmith and held my ear by the door, listening and praying for a tiny click of any kind... The heavens opened and I heard a click! I was able to open it by hanging through the window and using my foot as a brace and... well. Let's just say it's a good thing I'm still flexible.

I opened and shut that thing about 20 times before going inside, just to be sure...

3. Hazelnut cinnamon coffee. Sometimes you HAVE to splurge on the good stuff. (well, BETTER stuff. I still buy Folgers or whatever is on sale, but I make sure it's my favorite flavors...)

4. Knowing that I CAN make dinners from a practically bare cupboard and fridge. I mean, WOW. Last night I scraped together food to make stuffed peppers with risotto. And it was DAMN good. Tonight I think I have the makings for either Italian wedding soup (with a few minor alterations as I am out of ground beef of any kind to make meatballs) or an egg and ham casserole. I am actually cooking more Meals now that I am shopping less. (less. Heh. I said "less". I meant "Not shopping")

5. We are healthy. We are still able to heat the house. Though we are struggling, we are NOT as financially hurting as some people are. Things always CAN be worse, and I am grateful for the blessings I have.

6. You guys keep on coming back, even when I whine and cry. Thank you. I can feel the balance shifting within me as I write this. I'm not "back" yet, but I'm so much closer to being fully aware than I was just a few days ago. Thanks for holding my hand and patting my back. I really do appreciate it.

12 comments:

Melissa said...

I'm glad you are finding those silver linings! The Disney on Ice does sound like a lot of fun! And I think you're right about splurging (the coffee)... sometimes you've just got to get the things that make you feel better!

Anonymous said...

We'll hold your hand whenever you need us too. :)

Leah said...

Go ahead and splurge on that coffee you deserve it.
Disney on Ice with 3 little ladies sounds like a lot of fun. Enjoy.

Anonymous said...

see! you have tons to be happy about! :) Now if this icky weather would just go away already!

Tonya said...

glad you are still able to see the good in this situation. And have fun at the Disney on Ice so wanted to take the kids.

Kristin said...

Yay! Glad things are looking up! How fun...Disney on Ice:) Yummy coffee, warm house...health...see things aren't so bad:)

Kristi said...

It's all about perspective, isn't it? I'm glad things are looking better for you. Now, could you please come to my house and scrape together dinner from my practically empty cupboards? ;)

Mighty Morphin' Mama said...

Been thinking about you Tracey. This is such a hard time of year...
Hope you guys had a blast at the show, sounds lovely.

Gettysburg Mom said...

You know, it's not easy to hold hands across all those states...

Anonymous said...

So...was your door just frozen or something?

Mom24 said...

I'm glad for all your silver linings. My husband is in sales too--a different kind, but still. It's a horrible, scary time. I hope things look up soon for you (and us).

Michelle said...

I'm glad you were able to find a lot of things to be thankful about and see the silver lining in things! Glad you are feeling better too; hugs!

Related Posts with Thumbnails