Wednesday, December 31, 2008

To write, perchance to remember...

One constant in my life? The desire to write something down. To record a simple thought before too much time has passed. That poem I had in my head last night? As I was singing "Little Mermaid" to Corinne... what was it? It was nearly finished and all I had to do was walk down the stairs, stroke a few keys...

Gone.

Phht.

Why even bother trying to recapture it? It couldn't have been anything that someone else hasn't said before, anyway, right? I mean, when you really think about it, how many truly, TRULY original thoughts have there been over the history of man? I do not think of myself as being so unique and special that my little brain would think of a topic, phrase, or meaning to life that philosophers, poets and songwriters haven't already covered in the last couple thousand years or so...

And yet. It is MY thought. MY weave of words and tangle of phrases. For myself and my children I want to record these bits. These snippets of my brain's wanderings are what make me who I am. The fabric of one person is more than the conversations they have with you or the funny quips one writes in a blog. To understand the entire me, you would need these little poems, philosophies and dreams. Whether they are ever worthy of publishing or critique is beside the point. My life's value cannot be measured against something so random as public acceptance...

And so, I continue to berate myself that I don't carry a pen and paper for these moments of inspiration. Someday, I will remember....
Post a Comment
Related Posts with Thumbnails