Wednesday, December 31, 2008

To write, perchance to remember...

One constant in my life? The desire to write something down. To record a simple thought before too much time has passed. That poem I had in my head last night? As I was singing "Little Mermaid" to Corinne... what was it? It was nearly finished and all I had to do was walk down the stairs, stroke a few keys...

Gone.

Phht.

Why even bother trying to recapture it? It couldn't have been anything that someone else hasn't said before, anyway, right? I mean, when you really think about it, how many truly, TRULY original thoughts have there been over the history of man? I do not think of myself as being so unique and special that my little brain would think of a topic, phrase, or meaning to life that philosophers, poets and songwriters haven't already covered in the last couple thousand years or so...

And yet. It is MY thought. MY weave of words and tangle of phrases. For myself and my children I want to record these bits. These snippets of my brain's wanderings are what make me who I am. The fabric of one person is more than the conversations they have with you or the funny quips one writes in a blog. To understand the entire me, you would need these little poems, philosophies and dreams. Whether they are ever worthy of publishing or critique is beside the point. My life's value cannot be measured against something so random as public acceptance...

And so, I continue to berate myself that I don't carry a pen and paper for these moments of inspiration. Someday, I will remember....

11 comments:

Tonya said...

I could just see you walking around with paper and pen in hand. Then even less cleaning would get done! Hope you remember your poem.

Kristi said...

I completely understand where you're coming from. I need a pen and piece of paper in every room of my house, because my memory fails me constantly. Life is so busy that we let these thoughts slip away, but you're so right that if we don't write them down, they're gone forever.

Kristin said...

Hope you're able to capture more thoughts with that pen and paper! Even if someone has already "captured" your "same" thought, it really would be "different" because it's coming from you!

Yellow Beads said...

I always think of good things to write in the middle of the night and then forget by the next morning!

the mama bird diaries said...

I hate when i forget stuff. I also hate when i write something down and then have no idea what I've written because it's just chicken scrawl.

Melissa said...

What a great post! You're right... even though our thoughts may not be completely original, the way we use them or express them is part of what makes us who we are!
Good luck remembering things... if I ever figure out some kind of trick to it, I'll let you know!

Skiplovey said...

Oh my gosh yes! I could kick myself the number of times I wish I had a pen and paper. So many good ideas and posts down the tube, or off inter the ether.

anymommy said...

Or when you can't find the napkin you scribbled something down on?! I know, but these crazy, little kid days will pass and we'll have nothing but time and blank notebooks. Hopefully, we can hang onto the inspiration!

Anonymous said...

I so agree! I have a little tape recorder for such times, but I don't know where I put it. ((Sigh))

Vodka Mom said...

send me your damn address. I am sending you a little notebook. When I had my FIRST column in the paper, my good friend gave me THREE little notebooks. One for beside my bed, one for in my purse, and one in my car!! I've used them ALL!!!

Mighty Morphin' Mama said...

Me too! Me Too! This is always happening to me, and I mourn each one.

Related Posts with Thumbnails