Thursday, August 21, 2008

Day 1

I? I am a freaking lady of leisure. For today, I am sitting at my computer, drinking a cup of coffee, and there isn't a sound to be heard. My boys are in school and Corinne is napping.

Insert giddy giggles and hands clutched to my mouth in shock over my freeeeeeeedom!!!!

Though I am a bit tired from last night's 2 am wake-up call from a certain 6 year old who was so nervous about starting first grade that he couldn't sleep! He said he was worried about making new friends and all of the extra homework that was going to be SO HARD!! Poor baby... Thinking that he just needed a hug and a back rub, I laid down beside him and did just that. I kept falling asleep but that poor kid stayed up till 5 am!! He's gonna be exhausted...


Thankfully, we all got up, fed and dressed at a reasonable time (early, of course. We'll be early for a week and then perpetually late for the rest of the year...). There was no fear evident in Evan's face as we walked to school...
Ignore the bangs. His hair has the WORST cowlick over his right eye! I actually cut that hair LONGER than the rest of his head, and it still creeps up so that it looks like his mom is incompetent...
Obligatory first day pictures. My shaggy boys...
After dropping them at school, Corinne and I spent a lovely morning at the park, then cleaned the house a bit while watching The Little Mermaid, and rounded our morning off by hitting WalMart for extra shorts for Justin and the basics. She even convinced me to buy a new pair of shoes. I kid you not! I am NOT a shoe diva, but when Corinne's with me? I can't resist her squeaky request of,

"Oooh! Mommy! Do you wike deez shoes? You should buy dem. They're sparkly!"

Sadly, the sparkly shoes (which were PERFECT for a wedding we're going to next month!) didn't come in my post-birthing-three-children-size 9's. (I used to be an 8! I keep donating my shoes as I have kids...). But I did find a pair of 9's in a comfortable brown leather for this fall. I haven't had a new pair of semi-dressy shoes for pants' outfits in, well, 7 years? 8? Something like that.

See? Not a shoe girl. I like them, but just not the price or the waste as I really only wear 1 pair a season for several years in a row. Fashionista I am not.

Ahhhh.... where was I? Does it matter? No! It doesn't! Because I am not rushed to hit publish and take care of a child!! I can edit, if I so desire. I can rewrite, if the mood should strike!

Hot damn. This could be the beginning of meaningful posts.

Hold onto yourselves, folks. It Just. Might. Happen.

20 comments:

Gucci Mama said...

Yay school! I say that now, but watch me turn into a puddle of mush the minute I see my child walking away from me and wearing a backpack.

PS - Why do feet get bigger with pregnancy? Here's my horror story; I went from a 6.5 to a 7.5 and donated a huge portion of my pre-baby shoe closet. Then I replenished it with shoes in my new size, only to go back to my original shoe size before Josh's first birthday. Fortunately for me, I do like shopping, and I do like shoes. Perhaps too much. My husband calls my shoe closet(s) the Imelda Marcos collection. [she whistles innocently]

anymommy said...

Bittersweet freedom. I have been having so much trouble with all the first day of school posts in blogland. I'm reduced to tears over other people's babies going to school, what will I do when it's mine? They look adorable and grown up and little all at the same time. Hope it was a great day.

Mighty Morphin' Mama said...

Sounds amazing! The shoe size thing sucks! My feet aren't longer really, mostly just wider. I usually wear a nine now too and I was barely and 8 when I got married. ugh. Of course my waist has never made a comeback either.
Enjoy your week!

Hannah said...

Ah, freedom! Sounds lovely! Pity my damn work cuts into my own freedom, LOL!

My feet used to be size 8 before pregnancy, now they're size 9 or 10. Hate that I had to give away so many shoes I loved :-(

An Ordinary Mom said...

The freedom of school ... you gotta love it. I never understood why my mom loved this time of year when we were growing up. I so get it now :) !!

Tonya said...

Glad the first day of the kids gone was a good one!!!

kimmy said...

My kids start school next week. I can't believe that summer vacation is already over!

Kimmy

Marie said...

From a 10 Wide...

To an ELEVEN!! Wrap your brain around that!

Please don't get too meaningful, it might hurt my brain!

Lynsey said...

Your kids are so freakin adorable.

Momisodes said...

Dood, why MUST our feet grow?! It's just so unfair. I had the cutest (expensive) shoes pre-baby, and now, some lucky gals shopping at Goodwill will find them :(

I love the first day pics. So exciting :) I love their smiles.

Kellan said...

Mine don't start until Monday and Alexis has been picking out her first day of school outfit - over and over again for the past week - UGH! I'm not ready for summer to be over and school to start again! I had to go this evening with my son to his 6th grade orientation, which included walking to each class and taking notes and being very over-whelmed. That was me - he seemed fine with the whole thing. Tomrrow night I go with Alexis to meet her teacher. I like summer better - but ... I am looking forward to the those quiet days - doing whatever I want - WOO HOO!

Take care, Tracy - I enjoyed this post! Kellan

Kim said...

I'm with you on the shoes. I have sandals, crocs, black work appropriate shoes, brown work appropriate shoes, and sneakers. That's it, and it works just fine for me!

http://ispeakbeanish.wordpress.com

tracey.becker1@gmail.com said...

Marie, my sister wears an 11. She says she stops in every shoe department, whether she needs new shoes or not, just in case they have a pair in her size that aren't hideous.

That's just wrong...

Unknown said...

See?! I told you everything would be just fine!!!

The boys look SOOO happy!

I am not sad AT ALL about my kids going back to school. My neck has broken out in hives, thanks to how stressed I've been with their constant fighting and screaming and whining and . . . . (plus working almost full time on R&S)

The first six weeks was great. Now were just a little tired of each other. LOL!

Bring on 4th and 1st grades and preschool!!!

Beck said...

Your shaggy boys are so cute! And your daughter has a squeaky voice? Aw! My Baby has a gruff little voice - they should go shoe shopping together.

Cindy Fey said...

Please! No meaningful posts! Just the way you are, just the way you write. And don't cut the big boy's hair, either. Love it.

Kristi said...

Awww, great photos. Everyone looks so happy (and mama sounds VERY happy, which is VERY good indeed).

I hope my feet don't stay the size they are now. I hate shopping, and the thought of having to buy all new shoes is frightening.

Beth - Total Mom Haircut said...

Oh, that sounds NIIIIICE! I know you're all torn up inside about the whole kids growing up and being in school, but wow - it sounds awfully quiet over there...:)

Beth
http://www.totalmomhaircut.com/

Mum-me said...

My feet grew 3 sizes during my 5 pregnancies! I used to be a very petite 6&1/2(Australian) and am now a 9 or 9&1/2! I also gave away all my beautiful (expensive) shoes which I had collected in those years I was working, before children.

It is so nice to spend time with just one child at a time - and even better to get a little space for yourself too. Enjoy your new found freedom!

Michelle said...

I hope they both had great first days of school...and here's to a great year!

Related Posts with Thumbnails