Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Must've been a gnat in my eye...

That's why my eyes are teary. Not because my 9 year old called out from his scooter, in a joyful voice,

"Mommy! This is the last day you can say you have a third grader and a kindergartener!!"

True. And thanks for pointing that out, kiddo...

Sigh...
Onto bigger and better things, like SUMMER VACATION baby!! I had the boys sit down and make a brainstorm list of things to do this summer. I'm trying to avoid hearing "I'm boooorrreeed!!!" as much as possible. Here's their list:


Sleepover

movies

purple park

forest preserve

pool

zoo

Lincoln Park zoo

ice cream party!!!!

Wisconsin Dells!

build a fort

build a bird feeder

go to Nana & Papa's

go to Grandma's

fishing

walk around the neighborhood

pizza party

science kit go to the lake for test water

arts & crafts

paint outside

sidewalk chalk and paint

watch basketball

play basketball

museums

Cantigny Park to climb on the army tanks

friend party with water toys, pools and slip and slides

car race

game night

tie dye shirts

play tag

duck duck goose

cooking day - each pick a recipe

Great America

Pokemon party

popsicles outside



Interesting list, I think. I especially like the abundance of the word "party" found throughout.

He's looking a bit like 1972, don't you think? Edit the color a bit to get that old Kodak look...

I'm thinking of starting their break off with a bang by calling Pizza Hut for some delicious gooeyness and having Patrick rent a movie. They're going to stay up late tonight, and eat popcorn, I believe... I also need to think of some reward for each of them as I know that their report cards are going to be great. You cannot understand how that feels, unless you have suffered through the first 3 years of Justin's report cards. "He's very intelligent! Academically, he's great. Socially, though..." Yeah. This was the year of maturity. This was his year to finally shine and have a teacher that rocked. And then, to add Evan's year of learning to read and write? And doing so well socially, too? I am ecstatic. Maybe that's why I'm a bit sad to have this year end... I knew that they were doing well this year, and that next year is a whole 'nother ball of wax, with nothing guaranteed...


Many more of these late night bbqs to come! The s'mores were awesome...


I am off to do some serious laundry and dishes, play with my baby girl on her last day alone, and slam some high octane Joe.


Hope the weather passes you by if you live in Southern Illinois (and anywhere else in the midwest). Hope you didn't lose home or loved ones...


please keep giving suggestions for my post from yesterday... I am still stewing over how to approach this...

PS, please go vote for my friend Tonya from A Day in the Life of a Mama. She's a finalist at 5 minutes for Mom and could win a Wii!! Her picture is actually doing really well in the votes, too!! Good luck, Tonya!!

16 comments:

Karen said...

Your summer sounds like SO much fun! I miss summers in Illinois. They just aren't the same being a grown up and living in a big city. :-(

Melissa said...

Your list sounds awesome! We can't do all the fun outside things during the summer... it's just way too hot. Last year we tried a park and the playground stuff literally burnt the kids hands. Left little pink marks on their fingers :(

Beck said...

He DOES look rather 1972! A lot of kids do these days...
I never realized before that our kids are the same age - huh! This is my last couple of weeks with a kid in grade three and a kid in kindergarten. Sniff.

Tonya said...

Thank you Tracey! The kids have been really funny about the contest!

I loved the list your boys wrote and I did notice the word party a lot. Maybe we could meet up at Lincoln Park Zoo?!

Michelle said...

Your boys sure came up with a great list to keep themselves busy this summer!

tracey.becker1@gmail.com said...

Tonya - I keep forgetting how close you are! We can definitely get together this summer. I'll have my people call your people...

Bethany said...

That does sound like an awesome list! What is purple park though? I'm very curious.

Laski said...

Woo hoo for summer!!! J and I just got back having fun with bubbles . . . in the rain!!!

Off to vote!

Laski said...

BTW--1972 is so IN right now . . ,

andria said...

sounds like you're going to be pretty busy this summer!

I am so glad to hear Justin had a good year. We are still hearing the yada, yada, great academics, poor social skills. I am praying we get a mature streak real soon. I now have hope.

tracey.becker1@gmail.com said...

Bethany the purple park is the new park in our neighborhood, not to be confused with the yellow park, wooden park, or school park which are all within in short walking distance of our house.

Mighty Morphin' Mama said...

Sounds like you have a rockin' summer ahead of you guys. Have a blast.
I head off boredom by having a chore list at the ready. One 'I'm bored' and you receive a chore...
Great photos.

one hot momma said...

I've had a few gnats in my eyes lately! Great idea with the list...keep us posted on how many of them you get to! Right now my kids are just ALL about playing outside as much as they possibly can! I took them to the library today...much rain here! I have instituted a 30 minute minimum reading after lunch rule! Today they were all about those new library books! We'll see what tomorrow brings!
I too use the chore if you're bored tactic. The first one on the list is clean your toilet! Guess who cleans the toilet? :P
ps...love your blog!

kimmy said...

Great summer list. If you don't mind, I might steal a few ideas!
Gotta keep the troops happy and entertained this summer!

Kimmy

Kristi said...

Who doesn't love a party. Can I come spend the summer at your house? It sounds like you're going to have so much fun.

Stephanie Wilson she/her @babysteph said...

That's quite a list! And that photo is SO 1972- love it! Oh, and I had already voted for Tonya's photo- my favorite!!

Steph

Related Posts with Thumbnails