Saturday, May 03, 2008

Shooting for a scholarship?

First of all, I'd like to point out that it is MAY and that I am ready to attend a soccer game for my kids without howling, freezing wind and mud. M'kay?

Second, I'd like to remind the 2 fathers at the soccer game this morning, the game for KINDERGARTENERS, that they are, in fact, little kids. Little kids that are generally happy for just recognizing which goal is theirs and where the ball is. Little kids that don't need to have dads screaming directions from one side of the field while the coach tries to encourage ALL of the children from the other side. (A coach who is, by the way, incredibly nice and fair)

I was laughing my head off as Evan would chase the ball only to get distracted by invisible aliens or ninjas and would stop to karate chop the air, before following the pack some more. I was chuckling over his teammate's attempt to get a goal in the WIDE open net, with no one around him, only to miss and kick it behind the goal posts. I was smiling with joy, but his father was groaning and grumbling. He did that frustrated, disgust noise that I might make if my kids were rudely arguing with me over a basic chore or homework. He made this nasty noise over his 5 year old missing a goal.

Yeah. Let's get a little perspective, shall we? Also, let's read the guidelines we alllll signed before joining which state that sideline negativity and rudeness will not be tolerated. Let's remember that we should all be freaking grateful that our kids are able to run and jump and play. Let's remember that not ALL children can join soccer teams. Not all children get a chance to miss a goal.

Take a breather and relax. This is the GOOD stuff, guys. It doesn't get any better than this.

16 comments:

Tonya said...

Whole heartily agree with you! Let the kids be just that KIDS!

Kamis Khlopchyk said...

This is exactly why I am SO glad my boys are not interested in hockey. The few games I have been to involved parents beaking at their kids to skate harder! Pass the PUCK! etc. etc.

And the parents were all sitting inside with a pane of glass and a wall between them and the kids.

I wanted to shout - YOU DO KNOW THEY CAN'T HEAR YOU, RIGHT?

Amen to this post Tracey!

SydneyDawn said...

My son's soccer games were always hilarious. It was just one big cluster of kids that would move around the field attempting to kick the ball, but missing and getting each other's shins instead.

Good times.

Michelle said...

I really don't understand parents who act like that; especially at that age - it's all about having fun and just learning ... not so much stress!

Laski said...

"Let's remember that we should all be freaking grateful that our kids are able to run and jump and play." Right on!!!

Hannah said...

Amen to that!

There are always some of THOSE parents in every team. I think the parents of the other kids in Ethan's soccer team are generally okay, but one Dad in particular always criticises his son in front of others. Yesterday he said (after his son missed a goal) "You kicked it too wide! You're walking home!" ... it was a "JOKE" but the kid wasn't laughing. And nor was I. Poor fella! He's only 5 years old, sheesh!

Unknown said...

YES! You had me chuckling, but I couldn't agree more.

I beg my kids to play soccer each year but, sadly, they have no interest. :-(

Amy said...

I like your new header. I am so with you on your childrens' sports perspective!

Jamie said...

I don't even want Avery to know what soccer is! :)

Wish more parents had your outlook on the game so people like me wouldn't shy away from it.

Mighty Morphin' Mama said...

I so agree, we have experienced quite a bit of this over the years. Tomorrow is my boys first soccer game ever and I am hoping that there aren't any of 'those' parents.

Beth from the Funny Farm said...

Amen! And another amen!

Beth - Total Mom Haircut said...

Oh goodness. I can't believe this still happens. It's such a stereotype and one I thought people were past. It's ridiculous.

Beth - Total Mom Haircut

Beck said...

Some people just suck. My then-five-year old son spent all of soccer last year drifting around the field, ignoring the ball and picking dandelions with his friend Faith.

Cindy Fey said...

This post made me laugh, then well up. Thanks for writing.

Sheryl said...

Pft. Men and sports.

the dragonfly said...

I love to watch little kids play sports. Yes, it's about learning coordination, to work as a team, etc...but it's so much fun!! I had to laugh at the karate chop bit. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails