Monday, April 14, 2008

An island in my basement...

The boys are out back with the neighbors, playing an elaborate war game which involves more rules and possibilities than you can imagine. As an adult, we listen to their set-ups and rule manufacturing and think "Just stop being bossy and get ON WITH IT! Play the game, already!" when, in actuality? The set-up is 95% of the fun of playing pretend...

I remember, in great detail, playing with my younger sister. We had a "game" that we'd play which involved our family room rug being the island, that we'd spread seashells all over. We were on a deserted island, and had to live off of the pineapples and bananas that grew on our basement lamps and survive through tragedy after tragedy... It was quite extensive, and very time-consuming, to set up all of the situations of pretending!

I wondered, as I loaded yet another load of laundry and listened to them shrieking with glee, then anger, then glee again, when exactly was the last time I played pretend? I don't mean played with my children, doing pretend. Of course, I do that all the time. I mean, when was the last time I helped set up a situation to play with friends or my sisters, and actually believed in it? When was the last time I saw those bananas and pineapples? When did I actually last feel the pretend ocean waves washing ashore in my parents' family room? I wonder, had I known that the last time was going to be the Last Time, would I have played longer? Would I have been able to leave the basement and leave the Island?

When will be my children's last true time of pretend play? When will Justin stop truly believing in the missions and Star Wars battles with his brother and friends? Will Evan and Corinne grow up earlier, and abandon pretend play sooner than he does?

I wish I could close my eyes and really see the imaginary scenes I used to. Perhaps it's why I don't close the door to my mind on fairies and unseen forces? Maybe I'm just hoping for a bit of my childhood innocence...

9 comments:

Tonya said...

I've never thought about that, hmm I wonder when my last pretend session was.

Holly said...

Hey, I used to play that same deserted island stuff! I was also Princess Leia for my brother (aka Luke Skywalker) more times than I can count....

Mighty Morphin' Mama said...

Oh, I hope it is a long time away for my kids. I am so facinated with their games, they are just like yours, super elaborate set ups with tons of rules...
My eldest is 13, I don't know how many more years I will get to listen to his wonderful imaginary play.

Mom24 said...

I wish I could bring myself to feel it again. My son would love it if I could get into a good game of Pokemon or Transformers. The endless set up and rules makes me bananas. Maybe this will be a good reminder for me that that's the best part for him.

Kristi said...

I would have loved to bottle that innocence, because I could sure use some of it now.

Unknown said...

I've often thought about this, too. I see how my kids play, and I'm a little jealous that it happens so easily for them. I remember playing a game with my neighborhood friends in which we were explorers. Because we lived on heavily wooded area, we would spend the majority of our days traipsing through the woods. Most of our pretend play happened there.

I think I stopped pretend playing when I was about 13. I moved away from all my friends and priorities seemed to shift once I got into middle school. . .

My husband and BIL, however, *love* to make up games. And you're right, setting up and establishing the rules is what's most fun for them!

Kristen said...

I do remember pretending to pretend about Santa and Disney characters. I'm a peacemaker and I didn't want to let my parents down.

mamatucci said...

I was just thinking that about my 11 year old daughter, she just seems so grown up. so fast

Natalie said...

wow, thanks for making me think about that! I think tomorrow I am going to lay down on my back deck with my daughter and look for the carebears in the clouds!

Related Posts with Thumbnails