Thursday, January 24, 2008

A hairy topic

I love this picture. They were hanging out together at the Cub Scout Pinewood Derby. Evan was telling Corinne stories and she was giggling. The static electricity was ferocious that day and you can see their hair standing on end. It got me to thinking about hair and how it is a big part of who each of us are. How hair can define you, and make you feel beautiful. And how not having it can make you feel different, and not complete...
If you've read some of my previous posts, I've been touched recently by a few stories of cancer that have really struck me. My heart aches for anyone that is affected by a serious illness. And to have that illness out there for all to see, to not be able to just get away from it when a bald head is obvious for the world, well... that's just the icing on a crappy cake.

I happen to have hair that is thick and grows extremely fast. It is currently past my bra strap and always in a ponytail. (please ignore the pasty and pimpled face. It was early. I hadn't even had a shower or coffee yet.) I was feeling bummed about how boring it's become again (a problem for me with the fast growth, is that I have to continually get it cut to keep it shaped), so I decided to go for a new cut with some funky color and donate my long pony to Locks of Love. You need 10 inches of hair for a wig, which I have, but they will accept 8 and 9 inches for other pieces. So even a few chunks of longish hair can help. Check out their site and see if it's something you'd be interested in doing, now or in the future.
And hey! Maybe having short hair again will save me from pulling it out when these adorable faces above create messes like the one below... (a few days ago. Thankfully, it all came up. But I saw a PRIME picture for the blog immediately!)
Post a Comment
Related Posts with Thumbnails