Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Pressure... coming down on me.

I keep having a Janis Joplin song replaying over and over in my head right now.

"Oh Lord... Won't you buy me... a night on the town? I'm counting on You, Lord. Please don't let me down!"

Yeah. I could use a nice stiff drink in a smoky dark bar (well, the smoky part isn't needed. Just makes my eyes water. But go with me here...). Justin came home from school and promptly turned from sweet, nice 7 year old into banshee boy. I seriously was standing in the other room, envisioning smacking him from here to next week (hence, the reason he was in his ROOM, people. Please. No child beater here. But I SO understand how someone with less mental stability and capabilities could break under the pressure.).

Anyway. All is quiet now. He's snacking before finishing up the 5-10 minutes of homework that sent him into meltdown mode and then (oh joy!) some Star Wars video games I'm sure.

Patrick has been fishing in Canada with his Dad since Saturday. I am feeling the pressure building up in my head and heart. Honestly, I can NOT picture having to go this alone. Frightening.

Ok. So I am now off to help with this easy as pie math homework. I am drinking coffee on an almost empty stomach and I think it's ruining my stomach lining, but I must have my Joe.

5 comments:

beth said...

It's hard to go it alone, and I don't have child meltdowns to contend with yet so I can't imagine. Hang in there. When's he back?

tracey.becker1@gmail.com said...

Thanks. Saturday, I think... It's all a blur!

Mike said...

I understand meltdowns and tantrums. That’s a given when you’re a parent, I guess.

I have to admit. I’m not a perfect parent. Sometimes, I handle tantrums well. Sometimes, I don’t. During times when I don’t, I try to remind myself of what a famous writer once wrote: “Who you really are is defined by what you do when your toddler throws a violent tantrum and nobody else is around to see it.”

OK. I made that quote up. It just sounds more authoritative if a famous writer writes it.

So tell me, was your child’s math really as easy as pie?

Mike
http://somethingaboutparenting.typepad.com/


Thanks for reading my post about broccoli. You are right. Often, parenting magazines write tips on how to feed your kids healthy foods (i.e. yucky tasting, but nonetheless nutritious food like broccoli). What those magazines don’t write about is that those tips only work for … let’s see, the first five or ten attempts.

tracey.becker1@gmail.com said...

Yes. The math was cutting the pictures of the face-clocks and gluing them on the matching numbered spots. He has known clocks for over a year, at least. EASY.

Michelle said...

Sorry it was such a rough day - I hope today is better! And I hope Sat arrives before you realize it!

Related Posts with Thumbnails