Monday, May 20, 2013

A bit of perspective, for sure.

A little perspective can go a long way.

Feeling frustrated that my children are so loud and noisy outside may be annoying to me personally; it may be annoying to the neighbors who get to witness my constant shouts to "PLAY NICELY! For the love of GOD, listen when someone says something!" But feeling frustrated isn't a national tragedy. It's a minor inconvenience that I am blessed to be able to feel.

My children aren't witness to gang shootings. My children don't really even know what a "gang shooting" is.

My children have green space and a safe neighborhood to race around within. There is no need for "safe passage" because, in comparison to many parts of America (specifically, inner-city Chicago, just a short drive away), their entire environment IS a safe passage. Warm weather for them equals happy times and independent play; not an increase in the violent crimes that neighbors bring upon each other.

My children are blessed to be allowed outside of my sight. They are blessed to have the freedom to grow up in the relative safety and security that their parents' financial status allows them. I wish I was able to bring this blessing to more children in the world.

~~

I started this a week ago. I had to stop for some reason. Some small reason that obviously needed to be taken care of, but was most definitely not life-threatening. In light of today's recent events, I am so grateful for each day I GET TO be annoyed by my children. Knowing that not all parents receive this luxury and privilege, and knowing that we are all only one storm or accident or illness away from BEING that family won't stop me from being annoyed by them. It will keep it all in perspective, though.

I am sending all of my love to Oklahoma and the surrounding areas that are being affected by today's tornado devastations. I hope with all my heart that any children they pull from the rubble of the schools are still alive and able to be helped at local hospitals...




1 comment:

AiringMyLaundry said...

Great post. I am glad my kids can play outside as well.

Related Posts with Thumbnails