Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Someday; Just Not Today

It's 8:38 and I'm sitting in bed with my laptop on my knees, my husband beside me (who is watching Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives), and my dog at my feet.

Our elderly cat is cautiously circling the pillow behind Patrick's head, looking for just the right spot to guilt him into providing her more space than she has been allotted.

My ten year old son sits on the foot of our Queen-sized. Every few moments, he inches his way a little closer to the middle of the bed; hoping that we won't notice that he's not on the floor with his sister.

Haven't I mentioned that my youngest two children regularly sleep with Patrick and I? Haven't I mentioned that neither has slept in their own beds in, oh... Months???

Yeah. This was not "planned." This Family Bed idea grew organically (and sometimes it survived despite our valiant attempts to uproot it). But it has happened. It IS happening. And though I am occasionally resentful of the lack of privacy that this arrangement allots for our marriage, we know that Life will not always be this way. We know that the day will come (perhaps sooner than we think) when one of them will wander to their own bed and sleep there more often than here. It happened with our eldest. It will happen with our younger two. Someday they will be sleeping farther away than just a bedroom down the hall. Someday, we won't be moaning about feet in our face and 7 people crammed into one bed (2 adults, 2 kids, 1 dog, 2 cats. You do the math.*).

 Someday, I won't wake up to find them holding hands in their sleep...
Someday. Just not today.

*Pets are people too.

8 comments:

Melisa Wells said...

*snort*

Pets ARE people, too. :)

Marianne said...

Way to give credence to my husband's argument every time I try to evict our little subversives! He's all "they're not gonna want to sleep with us forever," and I'm all "get them out NOW." I have to say, though, that picture IS adorable!

tracey.becker1@gmail.com said...

Marianne, they do leave eventually. And I don't get hugs from my teenager much anymore, so....

Deb said...

I suggest a King sized. Once you go King, you never go back.

Unknown said...

I agree with Deb - sleeping on a king is like sleeping on a tennis court and there's room for everybody.

Erin said...

Those pictures are great! Do they really hold hand in their sleep? So cute!

Vicky said...

How sweet! When one of mine (mainly my middle one) climbs into bed with us, he lays directly on top of me. As if I'm the pillow top for the mattress. Of course when I roll over he fall off the bed so the kids don't sleep with us often.

Unknown said...

Great stuff Tracey. You continue to make me laugh every time I come to your blogs. LOVE your writing... and WOW Blogtrepreneur #3!!!! Way to go. :)

And, I'm right there with you with this family bed thing. They aren't little forever, and some day I will miss these cuddle times.

Related Posts with Thumbnails