Sunday, December 05, 2010

Who will be the First Gentleman?

"Mommy, why do the numbers on the girl presidents go 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,71?"

"What are you talking about, Corinne?"

She showed me the reverse side of the presidential chart we have which lists all of the First Ladies and their order of appearance. Did you know that a First Lady isn't always the wife of the president? Sometimes other women fill in when a president isn't married or if his wife isn't able to fulfill the duties. In the case of First Ladies 7 and 7.1 (hee hee), Andrew Jackson had his niece and then his daughter-in-law stand in for the title.

"Honey, those First Ladies were both for the same president. That's why they have #7 and #7.1. See? Look on the list. It happens again for president #10 and #22."

"Ohhhh... There were more girl presidents than boy presidents!"

I saw her getting ready to sing 'Girls Rule and Boys Drool'...

"Um, actually babe, there haven't been ANY girl presidents. Not yet."

Her little 21st century brain exploded at this bit of unjust information, and she indignantly pursed her lips.

"Why NOT?!?"

"It just hasn't happened yet. But it will one day. I promise."


(Let's just hope it's not Sarah Palin!)

8 comments:

kailani said...

Okay, I learned something new today. I didn't know that the First Lady could be someone other than the President's wife!

Stacia said...

Snorted hot chocolate out my nose at your last line. (Ouch, but worth it.) Yes, let's hope. Or, hope not, rather.

Pregnantly Plump said...

I didn't know that, either! That's a fun, random fact to know. (Not about the lack of female presidents, but that you don't have to be the wife to be first lady.)

Anonymous said...

I was thrilled when Nancy Pelosi became Speaker because that's the closest any woman has been to the U.S Presidency. On the other hand, I wouldn't want our girls to become President. I'm not sure it's worth the toll it takes on the person in the office.

CaraBee said...

When I was a young lass, I dreamed of being the first female president. Now you couldn't pay me enough to do that job. No way, no how.

It honestly never occurred to me that there have been single presidents. Duh.

Ann Imig said...

Too easily confused with Sister Wives!!

goodfather said...

LOL! Girls ARE smarter than boys. I had no idea about how women 'stand in' as first ladies, amazing!

Doll Clothes Gal Pal said...

Girls are indeed smarter than boys. ;)

Related Posts with Thumbnails