Monday, July 26, 2010

Na na na na na na na na BATMAN!

Now that we can totally utilize the whole instant viewing option on Netflix, we decided to browse through the family movies that were available. Patrick and I wanted to watch something different (something, ANYthing, different!) so when Batman Returns popped up, we happily pressed play.

The questions were relentless:

"Who's that guy? Batman?!? Why does he look different? Michael Keaton? Who's that?"

And on and on. They liked the movie, though. I had forgotten how much better the Michael Keaton Batman movies were. I mean, they're still dark and action-packed but the entire feeling of the movie is reminiscent of the comic books. The characters don't take themselves too seriously and the villains are just that: VILLAINS. Complete with the evil laughs and hand-rubbing. The heroes are obvious and, well, heroic. Christian Bale's Batman is just too... grumpy.

I digress.

(The point is just around the corner. Bear with me.)

Soooo, Michelle Pfieffer stumbles into her apartment. She's not Catwoman yet, so she's a bit bumbling and is wearing some unfortunate 1992 glasses. She presses a button on a little black box on a table and it starts talking to her, and my kids say....

"What's that?"

I paused. I blinked. My face broke into a horrified smile and Patrick and I stared across the room as our ages were confirmed by these two small words.

For when your kids have NO CLUE as to what an answering machine is and you remember when they were INVENTED? You are officially middle-aged.

16 comments:

Unknown said...

Bwahahahaha you're middle aged? How do you think that makes me feel? I'm old enough to be your step mother!

Eliza said...

wow....that's scary.

Unknown said...

I WISH I was middle aged. I remember picking up the phone and speaking the desired number to the OPERATOR, after she had asked, "Number, please?" I REMEMBER having a party line at home. IN CHICAGO. I remember calling my Mom when she and my Dad took a short vacation trip to Iowa, and I had to ask for "Long Distance", and after giving her the town and number, hanging up to wait for the Long Distance Operator to call me back and say, "I have your party, Sir. Go ahead."

How old does that make ME?

Joy said...

@LceeL, that puts you in the 35-40 camp, if you grew up in rural Saskatchewan, lol!!

Issa said...

LOL. An answering machine. Hmmm, I'm sure my kids haven't seen one either. Heck, I don't even have a home phone.

Deb said...

The other day, I was explaining to my kids that when I was a little girl, there weren't ATM machines, or the internet, or cell phones.

Then he goes, "were there CARS when you were little?"

Dude. Not nice.

anymommy said...

Beautiful. I feel like I remember when phones were invented. Gah.

Michelle said...

Dude, I am SO not middle aged. That's so wrong. C'mon, answering machines were really only around for like 15 years. I refuse to admit my age.

Doll Clothes Gal Pal said...

Haha! Such a funny post. I do remember those times... Oh, and there was no Internet!

Angie, "Yo' Navy Mama." said...

NOOOOOO!!!!! We are not middle-aged. I know, because I Googled it! I have five more years, and you have eight. We are NOT middle-aged....yeah. We're toast.

Elisa @ Globetrotting in Heels said...

ahhahahahaha! an answering machine is a mean way to make you feel old ;-)

I hate Christian Bale's Batman. HATE. batman is all about cheesy superhero fun. He wears a bat costume, for goodness' sakes. Can't be a guy who takes himself too seriously.

beth - total mom haircut said...

Heh. Heheheheh.

Oh goodness. I can just see the faces you two must have made to each other.

Stacia said...

But Christian Bale's Batman biceps ... I dare say they can't be beat.

*~(boom)~* said...

LOL!!! What about top loading VCRs and 8 track tapes? *sigh* Those were the days, dude. ;)

Side note: My brother was given a pacemaker at birth. A very very technologically advanced procedure in those days. He was the first newborn in Canada to have such a thing done.

Anyway, we monitored it by listening to it with a transistor radio.

Dude. A transistor radio.

*shakinghead*

Anonymous said...

Hysterical! We had a church used book/media sale. One of the elementary school girls picked up a small box and said, "Dad, what is this?" He turned to me and rolled his eyes with a sigh. She was holding a cassette tape.

mep said...

My aunt sent a bunch of stuff to us that included a date stamp like librarians used to have. I thought to myself, "Oh fun, Bub can play library with this." Then, we watched an episode (probably ten years old) of Caillou where he checks out books at the library and the librarian uses a scanner. I realized then that my son would have no idea how to stamp his library books. No idea at all.

Maybe I will play library by myself?

Related Posts with Thumbnails