Wednesday, November 25, 2009

3 Strikes...

My daughter is lucky to be alive.

After all, what other mother do you know who, after spending all morning in bed with a throbbing headache, would allow her to continue on after everything she's accomplished this morning?

I know, I know, you're picturing her face, and thinking "What could that angel possibly do wrong?"(Disclaimer: She dresses herself...)

Heh.

10 am: Justin stomps upstairs and flings the Xbox remote control onto the bed beside me and my pile of afghans.

"Just look what she did! SHE BIT THE CONTROLLER!"

Yep. Sure enough, there was a bit of the toggle-thingy missing in the shape of her 4-year-old teeth. Corinne was summoned, confessed, and was sent to her room. I reminded everyone that my head HURT and to please, please, please fend for yourself downstairs and eat SOMEthing that isn't messy or too sugary while I waited for my Dayquil* to have some effect.

12:30ish: Evan's friend comes over and I say he can come in as long as they continue to not mess with me upstairs. My headache has NOT abated, and I am worried that I am starting to get really sick as I'm broiling in my bedroom. I take some more DayQuil and try to watch something quiet on tv in my bedroom when I hear Evan's buddy say,

"Why is there marker all over the piano?"

I hazily flew down the stairs to confirm the disaster and found green marker stripes on every single white key of my great-aunt's piano. Holding my head (so that I didn't swat her bottom) I shrieked at her to "GO TO HER ROOM again!!" She sobbed and wailed her apologies. Whatever. I have only a few nice things in my home!! NOT the piano!!

(Thankfully, it was one of the washable markers, and not the Sharpies. The piano keys were easily cleaned and I made sure to bring a steaming cup of coffee upstairs to my room with me, hoping that the caffeine would ease the pain.)

2:00: Patrick finally arrives home with liquid Tylenol and I trudge downstairs, slam the dosage and take in the carnage of the house. Ugh. Dishes and spilled pink milk and muddy footprints and markers on the table... Evan and Corinne headed out into the cold rain to play and I put on a show of cleaning the kitchen (i.e. I loaded the dishwasher). By this time, I was really getting worried about how hot I was getting. Sick just in time for Thanksgiving! Fabulous. I decided to just take it easy and sit down at the table with a glass of water. As I passed the furnace vent, I got blasted with HOT air...

Hmmmm... I've been a mother for 10 years. I know by now to investigate a mystery a little further....

"WHO turned the furnace up to 75 degrees?!? Corinne??!?? Did you push the buttons by the computer???"**

God help me. GOD HELP ME. She is a female Dennis the Menace. She is precious and joyful and curious and uninhibited and she is going to be the death of me.



*All I have in the house cuz I can't swallow pills.
**I AM grateful that I am not as sick as I thought, though.***

*** Or going through "the change" at an early age.


Happy Thanksgiving!

15 comments:

Sarah RDH said...

One of those days, huh?? While I love having so many days off since I work part-time, I also dread them bc of stories like this! I could never in a million trillion gazillion years be a full time SAHM. Never. Hubs doesn't understand....he never will. But I'm glad you aren't as sick as you thought- have a Happy Thanksgiving!

Mom24 said...

Ack! Threaten to change her name to Denise. ;-)

At least you know she will outgrow it..hopefully.

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving. Hope you feel better.

Hannah said...

I think you are VERY patient, I am not sure quite how I would have handled such a situation. Probably not very nicely.
I hope you are feeling better now, and can enjoy your Thanksgiving.

Unknown said...

Kinda makes ya want to put her in bib overalls and hang her from a hook in the closet, eh?

That is what those straps on the back are for, ya know?

The Lady's Lounge said...

Ah.. brings back fond memories when my daughters teamed up and painted my $1,000.00 violin with liquid paper.

JC said...

I am so thankful my little girl isn't as mischievious. Hope the headache is long gone! Happy Thanksgiving!

Kamis Khlopchyk said...

Oh boy, she's a live one eh? Glad you are feeling a bit better so you can enjoy your day today!

mep said...

Oh no she didn't. Hope she is back to being an angel today. The piano keys and sauna-level heat would have put me over the edge.

Primary Work at Home said...

Get well soon. Happy Thanksgiving.

Cynthia said...

Oh girl...feel better.

You deserve a night out. Let me know when you need it. You can stay in my guest room;)

Pregnantly Plump said...

When it rains, it pours. It seems Little Elvis likes to get all his badness out in a matter of moments, too. Hope you're feeling better.

anymommy said...

Bless you. I have to read up, but I so hope you are feeling better. Also, can she come and play with my thermostat? I'd love to have it set at 75!!

Issa said...

I hate to tell you this, because I know she just had her birthday...but it's four. It's the four. There is no question in my mind. Four.

I told mine over and over again at that age, that they were lucky they were cute.

Kristi said...

She's not Dennis the Menace. She's just "spirited." Isn't that what a professional would say? Glad you kept your cool for the most part. I don't believe I would have been able to!

*~(boom)~* said...

Ha! She looks very innocent, but her eyes? Pure delight in being naughty. :)

I love it!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails