Thursday, January 15, 2009

I'm a lil askerred...

Hope I'm not jinxing my entire day by putting it in writing, but the kids, who are ALL home thanks to a windchill of -20 and some brutal ice on the roads, are.... behaving. SHHHHHH.....

I am finishing my second cup of chocolate silk coffee before I begin to assemble the winter gear required for me and my brood to brave the elements on our absolutely necessary trip to the grocery store. Heaven help me, please let them remain as happy as they are right now!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I am trying to decide if having a picture of myself from 11 years ago is beneficial or detrimental to my well-being. I found what is, quite probably, the only picture of me in a bikini, while hunting for high school pictures in a box of photos. Instead, I found pictures from a trip to Hawaii in 1997 that my family and I made for my sister's wedding. Patrick and I had the unique opportunity to have this luxurious pre-honeymoon as our own wedding was a mere 3 months after my sister's (though we got engaged FIRST. Little brat had to try and upstage me. :) phhhbbbtt!!! )

So I am sitting here, positively FROZEN, remembering those warm and lazy days. Pat and I would wake up to a light tropical drizzle, and head over to the cafe across the street to have coffee and pancakes. We would spend an hour doing nothing but eat in peace with lovely conversation as the rain abated, leaving a haze of mist as the sun quickly evaporated the steamy puddles. And then? The real day would begin! We spent every day (even the wedding day!) in the ocean, snorkeling over the most gorgeous reefs... He convinced me that I would NOT have a panic attack by breathing through a tube in my mouth. Miraculously, my soon-to-be-husband taught me to control my claustrophobia enough so that I could experience some of the best days of my life.

Sigh...

Is it ridiculous of me to have this picture on my computer desk? My disaster of a computer desk, covered in wrappers, crumbs, notes from the school, and Cub Scout paraphernalia? I will never look like that again. I have aged 11 years and had 3 kids and my skin, sadly, will never be that taut again...

You know what IS ridiculous, though? That I thought I was anything but skinny in those days! I was a freaking size 4/6. I hadn't a stretch mark or dimple on my thighs. Nor a single beginning of a line on my face. And I was SURE that I wasn't very attractive in a swimsuit.

Freaking youth. It really IS wasted on the young...

17 comments:

the mama bird diaries said...

I know. I can't believe my body when I was younger. I should have been thrilled every single day!

Anonymous said...

Go you! I say keep that photo up!

I've never been a 4/6 in my life! :) (solid 10/12-er here. Maybe 8 in vanity sizing on a REALLY good day).

:) Becky

Leah said...

Keep the photo up and don't think about the body size just let it be a reminder of how grand life was.

Allison said...

I too recently saw a photo of myself in a pair of shorts that probably wouldn't even fit over one of my legs today. aahhh the good old days. I say keep the picture - it will be proof to the kids later on that you were a hot mama.

Tonya said...

oh how true! I was folding laundry today and thinking that in a mere 6 years my daughter will be raiding my clothes for clothes. It made me feel better about the 3 expensive pair of jeans I own...she will be able to wear them when I out grow them ;)

Anonymous said...

Ah, the days of a skinny, tight, mark free body. Wait...yes! I DO remember them days! So longggg ago.

I say frame that sucker and put it out on your desk! Take pride in your bod girl! Display! Display!

btw, I LOVED your description of the time you shared with your hubby b4 the wedding. Sounds so romantic and nice. And warm. And fuzzy.

Stay warm over there! I hear tonight is gonna be worse than today. Hope it went well at the grocery store.

Kristin said...

Thanks to facebook I was recently tagged in a picture from my young dumb days in college. I was on the beach in Jamaica. I too thought I was fat. If I only knew then what 3 boys and 10 years does to a body...DAMN.

amanda said...

hope the trip to the grocery store was a success!!

and thanks for stopping by my world!

ChefDruck said...

So true. If only we could go back for a day ... or even an afternoon and feel our smooth abs and our tight butts...

Kristin said...

It's so fun to "revisit" past memories! Hope the grocery store trip was a success!!!

Becky said...

Those were the good ol days...eh? Since I had my 1st at 18 they lasted oh about a minute, so the railroad tracks across my booday are here to stay. Oh well..it was totally worth every minute of it:)

CaraBee said...

We're in the process of scanning all of our photos in digitally and it breaks my heart a little to see how skinny I was. What the hell was wrong with me that I thought I was fat? I couldn't even fit my bikini from those days past my knees these days. Sigh.

Kristi said...

What great memories. I would definitely keep that photo up. It's fun to look back on what life used to be like. I'm doing that a lot lately!

Anonymous said...

Tracey, come visit me today, I've got a great science experiment you can do with your kids...it's a short video. Very neat

anymommy said...

Completely wasted. They are all so damn beautiful!!

Kamis Khlopchyk said...

That last comment, LOVE it. Why can't I look like I did then now?

Maybe because I would dress like a hooker?

;)

Enjoy what you looked like then, now. That's all we've got!

Kari said...

I agree-keep the picture on your desk. I may go digging around my own boxes of scrapbooks and photos to find one for my own desk. Ah, those were the days . . .

Related Posts with Thumbnails