Wednesday, April 09, 2008

So proud...

So proud....

I am so proud of my eldest. Justin has always been a brilliant, funny, and inquisitive child. He's always amazed me and my husband (and everyone else, for that matter) on his intelligence and swift mind. The kid was reading before preschool, for pity's sake! Of course, as my first, I thought that not only was he a smart kid, but that I was a GREAT mom for teaching him all of the academics and encouraging his mind. Nowadays, while I will accept that I did do a good job encouraging his interests, the majority of his speed is simply that: HIS.

But he's had more than his share of problems. Mainly, he was diagnosed as Executive Functioning which, as I ALWAYS SAID, means he's a high maintenance child. He needed things in certain orders, in certain textures, and with proper warnings. If a situation didn't go as planned, and he wasn't forewarned of its possiblity, his mind simply couldn't handle it and all hell would break loose. For example: if we were going to go to soccer practice, he would have to be explained that he would need his shirt tucked in (sensory issue with him), that if it rained, it might get cancelled but rescheduled, and that they may win OR lose, but it will still be fun.


Every. Single. Game. We would have to cover these issues every time with him. On every outing! And hopefully, we would cover all possible scenarios, or else he could lose it. (I had weeks of talks with him over our Florida plane ride. Removing shoes in public! Ears popping! Not enough window or aisle seats! The list was huge...) Nothing more rewarding as a parent than to see your 6 or 7 year old flipping out over something trivial. Especially in front of whole other groups of parents. Good stuff.


I remember in second grade, during the Christmas party, when prizes were given out for only 4 or 5 kids and my son, of course, didn't win one. He was so upset that he sat at his desk, crying, with his head down for most of the party. Sigh...


My point today is this: somehow, during the course of this past summer, he grew up. Somehow, after getting off of the Strattera for ADHD and getting his 3rd grade teacher (a saint. An absolute perfect match for Justin), he has matured. Justin still likes to get his possibilities for the day (or year!) laid out, but knows that life is messy. He has somehow learned that you can't always map out the good stuff. That a little rain won't melt you, and that winning isn't everything (though it's definitely more fun than losing).


I was hit with this revelation of his maturity last night, as he left his warm McDonald's nuggets in the van (don't judge) to go run off into the heavy drizzle for soccer practice. In. The. Rain. He was so tall. So fast. So.... Old....


And when soccer practice got cut short by the sudden downpour? Instead of crying? Instead of freaking out? Instead of any number of tantrum behaviors he could have exhibited last season? He happily kicked his ball back across the field to my van. I watched him through the windshield, getting momentary glimpses through the wipers of this amazing boy of mine. My heart swelled with pride at the young man he is becoming and how far he has come...


Love you, BooBoo.

15 comments:

Elle*Bee said...

He sounds terrific! It's wonderful to see them grow and mature. just not too quickly, though. ;-)

Rebecca said...

Aw, Tracey, I love that! So beautifully put!

Not Your Regular Mini Van Mom said...

This was a great post. You made me smile big today :)

andria said...

You just described my oldest. Minus the mature part at the end. I hope mine matures as well as yours has.

Kristi said...

What a great kid, and such a beautiful post. It's a gift to watch our kids mature and grow, isn't it?

Kamis Khlopchyk said...

Wow Tracey, what you describe of Justin's behaviour sounds so very much like my Jack used to be. He's never been diagnosed with anything specific but he sure exhibited those behaviours and I am the queen of making sure he is prepared by talking, talking and more talking. This is why I was so very worried about his surgery.

But I think he's matured too.

He sounds like a great kid Tracey and you?

You are a great Mom because you handled it like a pro!

:-)

Unknown said...

Hallelujah!! There IS hope!!

This is Jacob to a T. We see minor improvements each year, but they're still so slow in coming compared to "normal" kids. This gives me a little peek at 3 years down the road . . .

Glad to know that major meltdowns do NOT lurk around every corner.

Hannah said...

Awesome news! What a great kid and a great post! You definitely should be proud of him, he has made great progress.

I have a highly sensitive child (my eldest) which I think is very similar to what you have described with Justin. So I do have some idea what you have gone through, and it gives me hope for my little guy, that he won't always find things so hard to handle! Thanks!

Jamie said...

Yay, thank you for this.
They are each so unique and we need to celebrate what they are.

You are a really great mom, and always an inspiration to me.

Mom24 said...

That was really, really beautiful. I think the greatest thing we can do for our children is to see them for who they really are, and to love them for who they really are. You clearly do that. Kuddos.

Beth - Total Mom Haircut said...

This is amazing and truly heartening. I'm so happy for you and for his progress.

Beth - Total Mom Haircut

Melissa said...

Ah... I LOVE LOVE LOVE hearing things like this!! So great that he is learning and growing :)

SydneyDawn said...

Way to go kiddo. It's so great to watch them grow and mature. It makes me feel all warm with pride when my kids accomplish something that they couldn't do before. Those are the great moments of parenting.

Marie said...

Two words for you, McDonald's. Hamburgers. When my son was little we would go through the drive thru and I would have to stop on the side of the road, sometimes several times, if one bun slipped askew of the others. And Heaven forbid the boy took a bite before he realized, 'cuz then all is lost, those buns will never line up right again!!

Mighty Morphin' Mama said...

How wonderful Tracey! Isn't it amazing to look up at your child and realize that they have grown up right before your eyes?! What awesome strides he has made, you must be so proud.

Related Posts with Thumbnails