Monday, April 07, 2008

Lengthy birthday weekend recap with lots of pictures and a few funny quips...

So, what did you do this weekend? Did you go out for a lovely birthday date with your hubby, host 2 parties, fly a kite, and have an all around good time? I hope you did some of the above, because they really make for a refreshing start to a week. My brother in law even worked on my computer, so I feel like I can do a little browsing again, even though it's still acting a bit weird. (like, all of my fonts are different. This particular post looks like it's in bold and a different font altogether.... Odd.)

Patrick and I had a fabulously expensive and over-filling dinner at Fisherman's Inn, in Elburn. Kind of a drive for us, but it's not too far from his mom, so we went for the first time in about 3 years. It's a beautiful restaurant. Surprisingly upscale for the location and exterior design, but it's a popular spot for anniversaries, birthdays and prom, to give you an inkling of the food quality and service. We also saw 21. Cool movie. I mostly was waiting for Jim Sturgess to give us an inkling of his true origins, especially after falling in love with his performance in Across the Universe. I haven't googled him yet, but we feel secure in the guess that he is British with a great American accent for 21. (I'm sure you all care, right?) Patrick and I had a nice night. No stress, no worries. We spent way too much on dinner and a movie and then went to a Trader Joe's and Goodwill that was near the movie theater. That's right. A Goodwill, where I bought a $2 shirt. We know how to work our date nights, eh?

Evan's birthday parties were so fun! First, the weather was (and still is) gorgeous! 50's and 60's with lots of sunshine. Which made for a perfect day to try out his new rolling toy from his Nana and Papa....

which Patrick blew up with his own hot air...

and yes. That's a loving gesture he gave me. Took him up on it later on... ahem. Moving on!

I still can't believe he has 6 candles on his cakes! And the candles were supposed to sparkle and relight... which they didn't! phhhbbttttt....

His friend party was on Sunday. 5 other kids came and, in addition to our 3, gave us 8 kids at the party. PERFECT. They made animal puppets....

Played Simon Says, and had a balloon sword fight. They were having a blast attacking each other until they saw me snapping their pictures...



So they turned on me!

I managed to distract them with cake and ice cream, which Evan wanted done with cupcakes. He wanted to fool the guests into thinking it was one big cake, so we frosted several cupcakes together and made a lion.


Don't laugh.

They played some Bozo Buckets and then headed outside to run around and play pretend animals being attacked by a dart gun or something... I never really understood the rules, but they were having a blast. I did have one boy ask me exactly what kind of birthday party Evan was having... heh, heh. I told him it was a BIRTHDAY party. A kid one. With fun things to do.
I was being a smart-aleck, cuz I know he was asking if there was a "theme." Um. No. There wasn't. We had some animal things, and napkins from from about 5 different birthday parties, which the kids loved, btw. They thought it was so exciting to pull off a Thomas the Tank Engine napkin to find a Cars one or a King Kong one underneath. Recycle and Reuse, baby.


After the kids left (only 90 minutes is all a 6 year old party needs to be. TRUST ME) we flew a kite. Well, Patrick flew a kite while I snickered behind my hand as I KNEW that the kite would crash into a neighbor's house and get stuck on a fence. Which it did. But they had fun for those 12 minutes prior.
Helps to have a nice cold one after a busy weekend....

Right now, Miss Whiny-pants is begging for "sumping to eeeaaattttt, Mommmmyyyyy!!!!" so I have to go. I hope to get over to everyone's blogs soon! I have been reading through Bloglines, so don't feel too neglected, m'kay?

15 comments:

Melani said...

My son's 11th birthday party was this weekend and he wanted the 'trick' candles. I went out and bought them (I already had boring, plain ones.) and they didn't work!! So disappointing.

He had a great birthday too--volleyball, playing outside, wii games and grandma's chocolate cake. Doesn't get much better.

Jules said...

Well looks like you had a GREAT weekend. Loved the cake. You did a super job on it. It looks really professional. :)

Type (little) a aka Michele said...

Took him up on it!! BA HAHAHAHAHAHA! Whenever JD says "F*** You" I usually answer, "Ask me nicer next time" LOL

But, ANYWAY, what an awesome party! Like how they are supposed to be. Thank God you didn't rent a petting zoo or hire David Copperfield or something...

Mom24 said...

I love the lion cake...what a great idea. Your party sounds like it was great. Did the rolling tube work? I'm always afraid those things are just going to spring a leak...the first time they get used!

Glad you had a great weekend. Isn't it amazing what a difference a little spring can make!

Beck said...

Oh my gosh, you're funny. And you look JUST LIKE one of my friends to a completely distracting extent. I should really email you a picture of her so you can see your doppleganger!

Mighty Morphin' Mama said...

Wow! What a full weekend! Love the cupcakes, the lion was terrific.
I totally agree that 90 minutes is all a party needs to be. By then I am so done:)

Kailani said...

What a wonderful birthday celebration! Looks like the kids (and adults) had a great time!

Kailani
http://islandlife808.com

Kamis Khlopchyk said...

The lion is awesome! Great idea and I bet the kids were surprised it wasn't a cake ;-)

sounds like a fantastic weekend Tracey, glad you enjoyed yourself.

And your hair, I still LURVE it!

we are reilly said...

you know, that's the new thing with cakes these days -- taking cupcakes and making them look like a cake -- you could be a professional! Looks like a FUN weekend!

Hannah said...

Sounds like a really fun weekend! The birthday cake looks awesome, great job! Love all the photos of the kids having fun, that's what it's all about, huh?
Your date night sounded like fun too. Yay!

Not Your Regular Mini Van Mom said...

Looks like you had alot of fun, good for you:)

The lion cake was a great idea..I might steal the idea and pass it off as my own lol.Very creative.

$2 shirt? I need to go shopping with you, who needs Stacey and Clinton with their $122 shirts :)

Kristi said...

Ohhh.. fun parties, and I like the cakes! That rolling toy looks like a Zorb with open sides. And the birthday dinner sounds great. I am so envious that you have a Trader Joe's near you. Love that place!

Unknown said...

Sounds like a GREAT weekend!!! I'm so glad you all had fun. :-)

Tricia said...

Was she getting that for you after all that hard work??? Hope so!!!

Michelle said...

wow you had a busy weekend! So glad you and Patrick were able to get away for a child-free dinner together! Loved the lion "cake" - you did a great job!

Related Posts with Thumbnails