Sunday, August 01, 2010

You say hello. I say goodbye...

Once again, I'm reminded of just how fleeting each stage in our lives are. Try though I might to not let myself get "comfortable" with what is my present, it happens. It happens and happens and each break from every normal is just as painful as the former...

Ebb and flow, in and out.

I had someone tell me recently that they liked my whole "hippie attitude." I smiled and said "Peace and love, go with the flow, live each moment to it's fullest, man." Inside, I wondered if he knew what a facade it really is.

I TRY.

I climb on every roller coaster and pretend to fly. I raise my arms and stretch my legs, letting the absolute joy overtake me. But it's quite the task to be present and conscious and in the moment every blessed day. Ironically enough, living life with joyful abandon requires some serious planning and collaboration. And writing from the heart while breaking up sibling fist fights just doesn't feel all too genuine...

Today I say goodbye.

Today I let another stage end for me and a dear friend as she excitedly begins a new stage in her life. Only fresh beginnings for her. No more dark reminders of the battle fought to achieve the happiness she now treasures. Only honesty and authenticity.

The absolute pride and wistful hope I feel for her is just that: Absolute. But the loss in my own life will be great. The thrill of locating her and renewing our bond just last summer, after a decade apart, makes her upcoming move across the country all the more poignant.


I'll miss you, Annie. Don't let any of your new opportunities pass you by.



7 comments:

Michelle said...

Oh I'm with you on the facade. And today, I didn't do such a good job of faking it. Tomorrow will be better.

So sorry for you that a good friend is moving away, but how exciting for her to have a new opportunity. Good luck riding that roller coaster!

anymommy said...

Goodbyes are so hard. And yes, so is living in the moment. I have to remind myself pretty much every, well, moment.

Stacia said...

It's all too easy to slip out of the moment. I'm glad you got to celebrate a whole year's worth of moments with your friend, and I hope you can stay connected, albeit not geographically. =>

bernthis said...

oh, how I relate to this. You have no idea how many times I've had to say goodbye to friends as L.A. is such a transient place. It's horrible like that.

CJ said...

True friendship will transpire any distance between you, even though the adjustment will be sad. You, once again, write beautifully on a topic that touches us all!

Gigi said...

What a fab post. I think we all have to work every day about embracing opportunities in front of us and look ahead, not behind.

thanks for coming by my guest post at Empress' yesterday. I appreciate the read!

Dee Gerber said...

"Ironically enough, living life with joyful abandon requires some serious planning and collaboration." - these words really made me think. Many times I look at seemingly happy and carefree people and think: how can they be so happy so easily. But that's just what I see, not what I know.

Related Posts with Thumbnails