Tuesday, June 05, 2012

This is the stuff I want to remember

My daughter had a sleepover with the two neighbor girls last night.

They played Minecraft downstairs while I cautiously slathered my sunburned legs with vinegar and aloe up in my bedroom.

They giggled and squealed and stampeded around the house for a bit until Patrick had to lay down the law of "Watch a movie and go to sleep NOW." Within 15 minutes, it was absolutely silent downstairs. That's what happens when you're under 10 and have spent the day at the pool.

This morning, I snuck out the door around 6:30 to take the dog for a long morning walk. I wasn't feeling as horrible as I would have without the advice from the internets (thanks for the vinegar/water remedy, guys! It helped my sunburn SO much). Unfortunately, I hadn't put much treatment on my very, very upper thighs and those two spots are still quite throbbish this morning. Still, a long walk in early morning shade was lovely (until I overstretched a muscle and had to gimp back home; I am old) and I am so grateful for the kids' more advanced ages that allow me the freedom to just go for a walk without worrying that they'll burn the house down.

I returned home to 3 sleeping girls. I brewed some coffee and called Patrick to thank him for picking up the fresh grounds when he got me the aloe last night. I was bummed that he couldn't enjoy a cup outside in the morning sunshine with me. You can imagine my surprise when he pulled into the driveway about 10 minutes later.

"I couldn't pass up an invitation like a cup of Brazilian blend on the patio with you."

I love that man.

After a cup in the sun and breeze, he headed back to work and I headed into the house. I was met by the girls and Evan all smiling sweetly at me:

"Can you make us pancakes? Pleeeease???"

Because I am a saintly person, I made them an enormous batch of pancakes on the griddle. They entertained me with their conversations of what going to a spa would be like ("You have to be NAKED!!"), who is cute on a Disney show and who is NOT, and several encores of the Sesame Street version of "I'm Sexy and I Know It".

They're so young, still! Though it feels like they're far removed from the baby days, it was really only yesterday that I was pushing a stroller while chasing a toddler and preschooler. At 13, 10, and 6 my family is moving forward quickly and I just want to remember THESE days with as much nostalgia as I have for the years that have already passed by...

13 comments:

Kate Coveny Hood said...

I think about that a lot... Kind of stop in the moment and have premature nostalgia for something so fleeting.

Mark said...

After all these years, Elmo still kills me! "I make Art". So funny!
Fun post and thanks for the reminder to slow it down a bit and enjoy the kids. But sometimes they make it so hard for me to do that!
m.

Unknown said...

You are indeed a "saintly person"--love the b-fast conversation you got to witness ;)

Courtney said...

I can't believe they slept in. All the sleepovers at my house result in late nights, very early mornings and grumpy kids the next day!

Laura- That Kind of Mom said...

I've been having a lot of those "I want to remember" moments lately, too. Sometimes, I just want to bottle them up at keep them little. Your husband sounds like such a sweetie :)

Lisa Hanneman said...

I'm already overwhelmed by all th moments I want to remember and sadly often forget and I'm still pushing the stroller around. I don't know how moms remember it all and embrace every new phase, but I look forward to learning.

shine @ party planning said...

its amazing I so love it.

Stephanie Wilson she/her @babysteph said...

Wow, it's a whole new world. So fun.

I helped with field day yesterday and got a sunburn- not as bad as yours, though! Hope you're feeling better.

Steph

Paula said...

In five more years that will be me. Sorry you got sunburned! That's awesome that your man can come home to have coffee with you!

ConnieFoggles said...

Simple moments of joy is what makes a mom be willing to make tons of pancakes and have sleepovers.

Brandie said...

<3
Those are beautiful moments.

candy @ Mommypalooza said...

what a great post! exactly how I feel about my 3 boys! it's a blessed life we live, for sure!

xo,

candy @ Mommypalooza

Unknown said...

Great post! My son is only two. I can't wait for him to get a little older and I dread it all at the same time. Such is the emotional strife of parenting, I suppose!! (Oh, and thanks for the heads up on the vinegar thing. I didn't know that and I sunburn easily! Will be using that at some point this summer!!)

Related Posts with Thumbnails