Monday, April 05, 2010

I am afraid of my couch. And several, completely unrelated, highly captioned, photos. Because this entire post canNOT be about my couch!



So, I'm afraid of my couch. There. I said it. I'm 34 years old, and I not only avoid sitting on my couch, I also skirt around it on tiptoe when I come down the stairs to get through the family room. You would too, if you came down the stairs, only to find your 14 year old cat sitting in absolute attention, staring at the leg of your sofa! I am just positive that one of our former visitors either made a nest inside and is now pining away for her family in the field down the street, or that an elderly mouse is using the crumbs that escaped my Bissell's stabbing vacuum session as a retirement policy. And I swear that I can hear the scratch, scratch, scratch of a critter from deep within its cushions!

Either way, I am afraid of my couch. I managed to hold it together during the birthday party on Saturday. I even SAT UPON IT. After all, a mouse wouldn't attack during a party. DUH. No, I'm sure it lies in wait for everyone (including Patrick) to vacate the home, leaving me completely defenseless. It waits, absolutely still, with its stealthy, beady, little eyes, for me to sit upon that couch so that it can silently creep up beside my exposed ear, and, and.... Eurrgggguh!! (shuddering. SHUDDERING over here! I'm typing with my feet on the chair...)

~~~~
Gotta change the topic. MUST.
~~~
The Birthday Boy! You can just barely see some of his Football field cake. In fact, you can sort of make out the star from the Cowboys that I put on it. Why would a kid from Northern Illinois want the Dallas Cowboys on his cake? Well, to be honest, he really wanted the Patriots. And then I looked at the picture of their field and said "Are you SERIOUS?!? There's like, 4 colors and a weird design! Don't you like some other team, too? How about the Bears?" and he said "Nah. How about the Steelers?" And I looked at their field's design and just about cried again and said "HONESTLY? How about a simple team like Da BEARS?" and HE said "Nah. I guess I like the Cowboys, too." and I looked at THAT picture and said "DEAL. Dallas Cowboys on your cake. Now go outside and play." And that, my friends, is how my baby boy got a sloppy blue and white star on his cake that he was SO EXCITED about that he hugged me all day long and repeatedly called me the "best mama ever!!" to which I could only quietly acquiesce. Who am I to argue with him?The best present. EVER. My parents and Patrick's parents went in on the basketball hoop for Evan's birthday and the boys (and all the neighborhood kids) are LOVING it. Best part of the day? When the party was over, and Evan had a couple of new (highly desired) video games in the house. And where were the boys at? Outside. Playing basketball together. Our hearts, they sang...
The best picture out of what I had to work with. My daughter, in full Easter regalia and her brothers in jeans and cotton shirts. BUT! Their pants didn't have holes in them. And Justin's hair got washed that morning! So, actually? They were dressed up.Despite the wind, it was a gorgeous day. Corinne and her aunt played with pine cones and hula hoops and bubbles and Lord knows what else. All I know is that my daughter can make a game out of anything and that she has several women in that family that adore her. So basically? I am just an accessory when we visit which is WONDERFUL by me!Moments before Patrick took his snooze to get him through the Sunday night shift.

Happy Easter! Hope your home only had rabbits in it yesterday. Hope mine did, too...

26 comments:

Sarah RDH said...

awwww looks like you had a great weekend!

Stacia said...

Are the kiddos sitting on the couch?? (Corinne looks beautiful. I love little-girl Easter hats!)

ThingsToDoWithKids said...

wow, that was a lot for one weekend! If I were you I would hybernate for the rest of today.

Gettysburg Mom said...

Love, love, love Corinne's bunny ears.

And at least Justin doesn't CHEW on his hair. Not only does Shea have this super shaggy look going on, but the front is always all soggy like. ewwwwwwwwww.

And I'm hoping for your sake your cat gets -ahem- whatever's in the couch.

[Overheard while typing this:
Atlee: Shea, why is your shirt wet?
Shea: I chewed on it.]

Gucci Mama said...

I'm a little afraid of your couch now too.

Eliza said...

I love the pics! So cute! It was crazy wndy..wasn't it??? But beautiful, non the less!

tracey.becker1@gmail.com said...

Note to self: There ARE other words besides "best" when describing something that is really great. As in "tops, top-notch, most excellent, etc." Use a THESAURUS TRACEY.

bernthis said...

okay that looks like one hell of a happy family.

xo

J

Daisygirl said...

Ya I would be afraid of anything that wasn't completely flush with the ground!

Happy birthday to your son! Great cake! And awesome hoop!

Love your family picture you guys all look like you enjoyed your weekend.

Kamis Khlopchyk said...

I don't think I have told you this enough but you crack me up. And in a good way. I love your outlook on life - you take and roll with it adding laughter where you can!

Your family is beautiful and my boys are the same, the best I can get them to wear is jeans and don't ask them to brush their hair, nevermind wash it. Sigh. Boys.

Anonymous said...

1) I would be afraid of that couch too. I would make my husband drag it outside and leave it there, as long as the weather allows.

2) Sounds like to had a wonderful birthday celebration!

Kristi said...

Great shots, and Corrine has a bonnet on! Too cute. I would stay away from that couch too. Cats know stuff.

Kim said...

I don't know how you even handle the obscure mouse. If I see a spider and cannot get rid of it before it disappears I can't rest. I just keep wondering where it is at that exact moment. But I'm sure your mouse friend has moved on to somebody else's house (I mean, why would it stick around and risk bodily harm).

Really cute pictures... sounds like a great weekend!

AiringMyLaundry said...

Cute pictures.

I think the couch would scare me too. Yikes.

*~(boom)~* said...

Your couch now scares me, too...you have quite the gift for description. *shiver*

I love the picture of all your peeps in a row on the couch. Your kids look like a great bunch.

tracey.becker1@gmail.com said...

UPDATE: I had a very scary dream that I moved a pillow (that I was sleeping on) and found a pile of mouse poop and torn paper and, and... I had a NIGHTMARE for cryin out loud. About a MOUSE.

I am such a girl.

CaraBee said...

I don't know if I've ever seen a picture of all five of you before. Lovely!

A few years back, the cats kept staring at the stove. Finally one day Neil lifted up the top and saw mouse turds. An hour later, a buddy of his was over and they were lugging that thing out to the garage and he called an exterminator. Never mind that we didn't have a new stove to replace it and it would take 3 weeks for the custom order one to come in, he wanted it OUT.

CaraBee said...

PS - Don't know if you saw, but Megan (mep) had her baby yesterday!!

Scarlett said...

My little man just turned 3! Yay for all the birthday boys. You get lots of cool mom points for that cake in my book.

I hope the cat can catch whatever was so interesting about the couch...definitely scary.

Anonymous said...

tracey, your kids are BEAUTIFUL! and happy belated birthday!

that couch does sound pretty heeby. keep us updated :)

sc said...

I suppose this isn't the time to tell you the story about the time I was sitting on my couch and a mouse came up from between the cushions...naw, I'll save it for another time. "Auntie Sue"

tracey.becker1@gmail.com said...

Auntie Sue! Hi!

You are killing me. Bleeeccchhh!!!

Amy said...

I am not a big fan of the beady eyed visitor type myself. Despite your unwelcome guest it sounds as if you had a great weekend though! Love the bunny ears.:-)

Anonymous said...

You are so funny. The couch story is priceless.

Alex said...

I found a cockroach in my couch once and now (years later) if anything black (like a kids tire or a raisin) moves on the couch, I jump up and scream.

PS. I love the name of your blog :D (it's my first visit here)

sheila said...

Aw, that last pic is soo sooo cute!

Related Posts with Thumbnails