Friday, March 05, 2010

Things I think of while driving in a van without a radio*

Route 66, stripped clear of the elms
and oaks
and shade.
Ripped up by 100 year old roots.
Their unfailing presence at every hometown parade matters not
when an extra lane means you can get to Wal-Mart 6 minutes earlier.

Progress.

~~~

"Give me that filet 'o fish. Give me that fish! OHH!"



Rinse and repeat. And repeat. You now have the mantra from within my BRAIN. You're welcome.
~~~

Tidbits:

- People on the internet can be exceedingly wonderful and incredibly gracious. My heart was warmed today by a generous gesture made. I'm still all fuzzy inside because of it...

- My kids may drive me absolutely insane at times, but when I witness the absolute friendship and care that they have for each other, the edges of my aggravation somehow dull. Nothing makes my heart smile wider than the actual joy they get from games they make up or phrases giggled behind hands that make sense only to our family.

- I am so glad I grabbed The Martian Chronicles from the library. I had been meaning to reread that book for years and years and the notion always escaped me once the shelves of books loomed over my head and my eyes and attention had to concentrate on counting 3 bouncing heads. Thank God for the ability to reserve online at 11 pm, when the heads are still upon train pillows and fairy blankets...

- Though I am accustomed to sleeping alone in our queen-sized bed (purchased to accommodate a husband whose 6'4" frame dangles from anything smaller), it still feels off and pathetically lonely when Patrick is absent on the weekend. While he is reliving his youth with friends at a weekend concert, I will be watching Goonies in my slice of that enormous bed. Crammed between our children who will drop popcorn in my quilt, there won't be much space left for the solitude to butt in.


* Sometimes being violated has its silver lining, eh?

14 comments:

Stacia said...

It makes me heartsick to think of those destroyed trees. And Wal-Mart. Anything about Wal-Mart. Ugh.

PS: Maybe this weekend you and the kiddos can "eat your weight in Godfather's pizza." (Love The Goonies!)

Gettysburg Mom said...

So, um, no radio in my van either. We changed the battery, which locked the radio up. Rich tried to remove the radio from its place to get a serial number to call Honda, but broke it in the process. Thanks Honda! Glad the radio didn't get stolen when we changed the battery. That worked out real well for us.

Eliza said...

I hate Walmart.

Tonya said...

I would die without my radio :) I know what you mean about when they are gone even if they aren't ever in the bed with you to begin with!

Kim said...

It's great how our kids become great companions when our husbands are gone. When I complain about my husband needing to go away he loves to remind me that he created me two little friends to keep me company specifically for times like this!

Sarah RDH said...

Well.....I'm all about some McDonalds. I might even get a happy meal this weekend, so I can get an iCarly toy.

Daisygirl said...

haha, gimmie that fish! Oh your poor brain!
I love goonies, never gets boring!

Cynthia said...

OMG...that commercial drives me CRAZY!

Scentsy Candle Consultant said...

That commercial will not leave my mind! I have tried and tried to sing other things to get rid of it.

My radio speakers decided on their own to work and not work when they want to. Ugh

AiringMyLaundry said...

Nice.

I love when Tom works nights. Sharing a bed is not fun.

DiggyDaddy said...

And if you get to Walmart 6 minutes faster, that means 6 minutes less to think up this stuff.

Anonymous said...

I am trying to familiarize myself with mommy blogging. I have two girls (ages 5 and 8) and I think it would be great to hear what other moms are saying out there. I also wanted to encourage moms to check out this new game called the ticket store game. It is a behavioral game that encourages children to have fun by earning tickets as rewards for good behavior. My kids love it and I'd like to start some discussion about it. Can you help me get connected? Thanks! briersimeon@aol.com

E... said...

Great. I see ANOTHER filet o fish in my future. (I'm not really complaining. I LOVE that shiny bun and tartar sauce.) Just not the annoying commercial that causes the Pavlovian response that sends me straight to the drivethru.

CaraBee said...

That filet o fish commercial sticks with me for days. I love it. And hate it.

I have a hard time going to sleep at night without my husband.

People may say the internet is all impersonal, but I have met so many warm, amazing people this way, including yourself, that I now consider "real life" friends.

Related Posts with Thumbnails