Monday, June 22, 2009

Will Write for Popsicles

pant. pant. pant.

Have I mentioned it is suddenly summer?Yep. Hello humidity! It's like a free sauna treatment! The backs of my thighs have been exfoliating on the kitchen chairs all day long. Getting up from the table has never been more thrilling!! Rrrrrriiiiippp!!!!(This one's for Stacey. Cuz I know that you know that I know that you know that I love ya...)

Thank God for the pool. Even when we had to squeeze 2 pools' worth of swimmers into one pool when the first pool had to be evacuated. I quietly asked why it was closed of the girl who was calmly telling us that "the pool's closed. This pool's closed..."

"Do I want to know why it's closed?" I asked, grim-faced and ready for the ole 'poop in the pool' explanation.

"Oh. Um. Somebody threw up..."

Nuff said! "GET OUT!" I shouted to the kids as I held my own stomach's contents back. "Get OUT NOW!!"

Good times.

Our 3 year old neighbor boy ran away from my neighbor while we were catching the kids as they jumped into the pool. She and I both awkwardly swam/clambered after him while shrieking his name as he teetered near the 5 foot section beside a girl who was so into her own conversation with the gawky teenage boy that she was oblivious to our plight. In the process of trying to rescue him, we abandoned my 3 year old and her 4 year old (but left them in the steadfast care of her other young children.) Brilliant parenting moment! We came home with all kids accounted for, but she and I have sworn to share a drink sometime soon...

(Side thought: Am I having a midlife crisis in that I suddenly have the desire to "get inked?" I have always been adamantly against the idea of a tattoo (or "tat" as my dear hubby fondly refers to them) but today, as I was reading a book I'm reviewing (AWESOME book. Love it!) I had the craving to copy the author's mother and get a tattoo, too. I haven't finished the book, so I don't know the final result of her decision, but, well. There it is. )

(Of course, it could just be the lack of oxygen to my brain. pant. pant. pant. )

Have I mentioned our brilliant plan to keep the a/c off because the money, she is slim right now? Tonight we will be having a slumber party on the family room floor! Such fun! We're making it into a par-tay with popcorn and a movie because the 88 degrees at 9 pm is only on the FIRST FLOOR of our home. I don't even want to consider the temp upstairs...

pant. pant.

Just now:

"Mommy, can I cuddle with you?"

HELL NO! Not unless you want to be connected by the melting skin. Love you, girly, but step away from da mama...
Ending with some eye candy...

22 comments:

anya said...

Funny post....I can relate to having the skin on the back of my thighs ripped off!

Me said...

Ahhh...Summer.

Tattoos. I will get one someday. I'm not a huge fan, but the plan...the plan is to wait until I'm done having kids (so one more after this...) and then get their newborn footprints (one from each) down my spine. So Kate's left, Emma's right, #3's left and #4's right...as if someone were walking.

We'll see. I'm kinda a wuss when it comes to pain tho...

anymommy said...

I crave that heat, but only for like a day. You know I love you too, and that picture only evoked a little shudder. They are in their bathing suits, so easy to hose down.

Also on tattoos - I have two and I love them!

Alyson Enola said...

I have several tattoos and LOVE them....they are not tacky and can all be hidden when baby daddy wants me to dress up and take me somewhere nice. I don't think I've ever commented before but I think your blogs are great!

Hannah said...

Haha, love the "Riiiiiiipppppp" comment!! SO TRUE!

I am insanely jealous of your melting hot summer, though. It's FREEZING here. Okay, not as freezing as Illinois gets in winter, but cold for ME!

You should totally get inked. I got a tattoo for my 28th birthday. I got my boys' names, birthdates and their birth flowers on my back (my left shoulder). It's not on display all the time, and can be covered if necessary. And it didn't hurt that much. It was nothing compared to drug-free childbirth, that's fo sho!

Badness Jones said...

The a/c in both our cars died last summer, and as Hubs was bitching about it I reminded him of life as a child of the '70s. Remember cars with no a/c and vinyl seats? Keeping beachtowels on them to save your legs from sticking and burning. I remember my mom driving as fast as she could with the windows all the way down (and the radio all the way up!) to catch more breeze.

I'm not personally a fan of the tats, but to each her own!

Debbie said...

I have a tattoo planned as a reward for my weight loss. Hubs just recently got his done (the boys' zodiac symbols intertwined). He says it's addictive.

Yellow Beads said...

wow, YOU ARE A BRAVE GIRL! Our temps have been 99 and my ac is running overtime!

Kelli @ writing the waves said...

Cute summer pics! I've been buying popsicles like they are goin gout of style. ($1 a box at Kroger!)

I've thought about the tattoo thing before, but I wouldn't be able to handle the needle. aahhhh!

Good luck trying to beat the heat and save some $$$. (I completely understand.) Your party in the family room will be a great memory for you guys. :)

Babe in Babeland said...

Hilarious!!

And I totally understand about the tattoos. I am a piercings gal myself...have gotten so many piercings. But tattoos I have avoided...they're so PERMANENT, and I have always been commitment-shy. But well, I can't really call myself commitment-shy now that I have a hubby and a baby. Soooo....somehow the tattoo--something I've always said NO to--is becoming quite a bit more appealing to me...

Let us know if you do it! And I will let you know if I do, too...

Stephanie Wilson she/her @babysteph said...

You are crazy.

I have two tattoos and would get more if my hubby wouldn't freak about it.

Steph

Daisygirl said...

funny! I hear ya about the heat...Arizona is the worst!!!
As for your desire to get inked, I support you. I am a mommy with ink...4 tats and my nose pierced and itching for some new ink.
It is addicting the way I look at it when I am an old granny(70 or up..haha) removing a tattoo will be so easy...at least that is what gets me through the thoughts of I want one now but what will it look like in 30 years!

Gettysburg Mom said...

Because it's summer and I'm hot and pregnant (I'm also stalling on putting in the AC's this year.) all three children want to cuddle simultaneously. Including the too cool 8 year old. Why not in winter when I'm cold???!!

Kristi said...

We've experiencing the same heat wave, and I am melting. Those popsicles the kids are eating look really good right now!

I don't have any "tats" and I don't have the desire for one, but if you get one, you must show us immediately!

tracey.becker1@gmail.com said...

Ah, well. IF I get one, it would be when we are no longer drowning in debt! Crossing my fingers for the closing Pat's got pending to go through....

tracey.becker1@gmail.com said...

Oh, and the worry of what a tattoo would look like when I'm 70 has never been a concern. When I'm 70, I will look completely different! Why stop from doing something I would enjoy for 20 - 40 years if only for the worry that I MIGHT NOT like it when I'm in my last decades? Assuming I live that long...

CaraBee said...

I'm on a Fun Pop diet. With this heat, there's just nothing else to do.

the mama bird diaries said...

Throw up in a pool? That is way gross. Hang in there with the heat.

Ruby said...

Great pictures. What kind of ta2 do you want?

Allison said...

is it a mid-life thing? - the tats? cause I have fleeting thoughts as well - I have been trying to talk my sister into getting a matching one, a small one with me. I noticed your husband has an arm band - I have been trying to talk my husband into one of those SEXY things for years!

Wendy said...

It's been so horrible here (humid and oppressive) that I've been having fantasies about the walk-in freezer at my mom's restaurant from when I was a kid. Oh, that was heaven on a summer day...

Catootes said...

There is something about that tattoo thing. My mother got her first tattoo, in Bermuda, during a cruise, when she was 71. A ribbon of flowers around her ankle, a permanent anklet, if you will. She got her second one a year later.

I'll probably get my first one this year.

Maybe

Related Posts with Thumbnails