Wednesday, January 12, 2011

A Whole Lotta Shakin Goin On...

Do you have any idea how much noise 3 kids can make in January? Holy balls! They have no concept of their own body masses. Thumping and thudding into walls and chasing each other through the house on a loop. Around and around the damn circle; who designs houses in a loop, anyway?!? Men, THAT's who.

Between Justin not realizing that he is almost 12 and the size of a smallish adult (i.e. MY SIZE, sigh) and Evan believing that he has super powers which allow him to catapult from the couches and chairs to land upon Justin in a WWF wrestling move and Corinne either shaking her bootie to the new Dance Central on the Kinect or riding her new Razor scooter in the house*, the volume level within my home is deafening.

DEAFENING.

Sometimes the noise can cause me to believe that there's a lot to worry about. Sometimes the petty arguments in our household "It's MY turn! That's not fair! I don't WAaannnnaaa!!" can escalate to a level that might cause the passerby to believe that we're unhappy and floundering. But that's only if you catch us on a bad moment. When I'm able to sit in a moment of rare silence, I fully recognize that I am Happy. With a capital H. Did you notice that? We are in a good spot and I SEE this. I embrace the chaos and silly arguments for what they are: Normal. Perfectly normal methods of relieving the easy stress that simply being alive requires.

I am so grateful for this stress. I am so, SO grateful that my family is alive and arguing, but making up afterwards. My pre-teen might drive me absolutely crazy with his perpetual moaning and groaning, but he still gives me hugs and wants to hang out with me. I still retain a smidge of "coolness" in his eyes (though it's swiftly on its way out, trust me!). I feel so lucky to be able to afford the food for a healthy dinner and serve it to my entire brood and husband, knowing that everything isn't "perfect" but we're all currently on the same page and it feels marvelous.

With Life being so fickle, we all have to embrace moments like these. Before we blink and the entire chapter has passed again...


*IN THE HOUSE! I am either extremely cool or positively insane.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh, the loop! I hear ya on that one. What a wonderful feeling it is to be in a positive place in one's life. Good for you!

Debbie said...

It's these days when I remind myself to be grateful I have a house for my children to play in, and that I have children, period.

We too have the loop. I remember thinking it would be great for the boys to drive around with their toy cars. That thought lasted a day.

And what is it with boys and the physical play? I've been told this is normal. I once caught mine sitting on each other, wrestling. They're 5 & 3 for goodness sake!

Deb said...

oh my GOSH with the noise! I swear, I have Noise Fatigue. You know, like operating a jackhammer all day might actually be more peaceful than kids with cabin fever.

I feel you, dawg.

mep said...

I feel happy with a capital H just reading this post! You're right -- we need to enjoy the moment, no matter how LOUD and how messy (especially at my house) that moment is!

E... said...

Thanks for this little reminder -- the noise and the jumping and the mess have been really getting to me this week, so it's nice to refocus on how well my kids really play together, how much they really like each other, and that mostly everything is really happy here. Thanks!

Heather of the EO said...

heh. we had a loop growing up. Now my children have a loop over at Grama and Grampa's house.

You guessed it...I used to love the loop and now i hate it. :)

And OH YES, the noise and craziness are much...but it really is going to go sooo toooo fast.

Khon Kaen said...

Enjoy the sounds of childish play for they will soon grow up.

Stacia said...

I love it when I remember to embrace the chaos. And I wish I remembered to do it more often!

Sylvia said...

It's a good reminder... but are you sure you weren't at my house? We have the loop and razor scooter too. As long as it stays an indoor toy (and doesn't pick up dirt by going outside) I've made my peace with it. :) Even the 1.5 year old gets into the act and sits on it while pushing with his feet!

sheila said...

WONDERFUL post!!!!!!! Great attitude and outlook. The recession may have made us all poorer, but it has also jolted the reality of what is truly warm and wonderful in life. Loved this post!

Genevieve said...

Sounds like you've embraced Life on Life's terms... and they're delicious. When I can accept my life in all of its messy glory, I find wonderful peace. Thanks for sharing!

Related Posts with Thumbnails