Thursday, July 09, 2009

What you get after 4 hours of sleep...

You know how you have about 16 great post ideas in your head at 3 am? You know how you are POSITIVE that you won't forget them? Nope. No chance! These ideas are TOO PROFOUND to forget simply because you spend the time from 3 am to 5 am watching "So You Think You Can Dance" (which had me cracking up when Tyce was going on about "orange juice." Anyone watch that show? Anyone? Anyone?)*. These ideas are so interesting that I could have guaranteed a HUGE increase in comments and even in followers!! (Not that I'm particularly INTERESTED in those numbers, persay. Nope. Not ME...)

Ahem.

That said, I am ON FOR BLOGHER! Halleleujah! The clouds have cleared and I am green-lighted!!! I was elated last night when Patrick confirmed his availability and went to bed with a smile on my face. When I awoke at 3 am, though? Thoughts akin to the weeks leading up to the first day of high school attacked my sleepy brain.

What if I am dressed inappropriately? I'm SURE everyone there will have access to at least Target clothing from the last couple of years. Can I really go there wearing my discounted clothes and decades old shoes? But it doesn't matter. It DOESN'T, but it does... Ah, high school. Always wanting to appear cool and sexy but as though it doesn't "matter" to me. And it DOESN'T, but actually? It kind of does...

Once I got past the wardrobe drama, I began to worry about "making friends." Now, I am a pretty sociable person. I can get along in most any crowd, and I'm not nervous about walking up to someone I don't know. HOWEVER. With a few drinks in my system, I can sometimes be a bit too, er, "sarcastic" and worry that I will offend a new friend before I ever truly make one! (Note to self: WATCH THE BOOZE).

Transportation dilemmas... I am a suburban chick. You drive somewhere. You park your car in a parking lot right beside the destination. You walk 30 paces into said building. End story. The idea of driving to a fancy hotel in downtown Chicago on a weeknight, ALL alone, finding parking, PAYING for parking (how much? How much should I bring? I have NO FREAKING CLUE! $10 a day? $20? Is that even possible??), losing a parking spot if I needed to leave the hotel... Oy. Why do you think I asked Maria if I could bunk on Thursday night too, even though it wasn't in my original plan? The mere THOUGHT of finding a parking spot, 2 days IN A ROW was putting me over my limit of stress. Now that I've cut the parking drama in half, I'd reallllly appreciate someone's opinion on what I should expect $$ wise... (Also? This cements any thoughts I ever had about loving suburbia. If I get lost in the burbs? I can pull over and ask directions! If I get lost in Chicago? I have to drive and drive because there aren't any spots to "just park" for a second and ask for help!)

Wow. Can you tell I haven't had much sleep or coffee yet? I think I'll scoot before I ramble too much more. And NO, I'm not going to proofread. I'm throwing caution to the wind and just posting this crappy post. Because it's Thursday, damnit.

* In my search for a clip showing Tyce talking about "orange juice", I found a YouTube video of what appears to be a Mom and daughter recap of the show. If you watch the show, it's pretty amusing. If not, well, you probably will wonder why I watched the whole thing...

8 comments:

Vodka Mom said...

i'll be shopping at Goodwill for a nice new outfit.

AND wearing my three year old sandals.


:-)

Kat said...

I wanted to go to BlogHer too, and my hubby was all for it, but it is SO CLOSE to my due date. I just didn't want to risk it.
Still I know that if I did go I would be completely stressing about meeting people. :)

BusyDad said...

I will look for the only nervous insecure person there and say hi - because I'll know it's you ;)

Just think of it as a 3 day happy hour. That should make things easier. Also, because it pretty much is.

As far as money is concerned, I think you'll find food at pretty much all the parties. As well as drinks too at many of them. Outside of lodging and parking, I think $75 a day ought to cover the rest nicely. I'm mentally preparing to spend about $100 a day if that helps. Then again, I drink too much...

Dana said...

Hey, I've found some AWESOME pieces at the thrift store here....don't worry, be happy! You're going to have a blast and if you DO drink, I'm sure your new friends will love your sarcastic side. I know I would because, well, wouldn't you know, I have a sarcastic side too (without the use of alcohol....I think it's 5 boy induced)

I did watch SYTYCD last night. What in the hell was Tyce going on and on about. He's a fruitloop! I was pretty lost with his whole orange juice analogy.

Star said...

You can find great stuff at thrift stores.... and some hardly used!!

CaraBee said...

I am totally stressed about what to wear! I bought a pair of shoes on Ebay that I am super psyched about, but what if they don't fit?? Or aren't as cute in real life. Also, I got business (ha) cards but now I'm agonizing about are they cool enough, do they say the right thing. Am I even going to hand any out? One upside: I am going with a couple of great bloggy friends, so I have an entourage to walk into rooms with.

Don't you worry, just look for me, and we'll hang. I'll be the chic in the awesome red shoes!

tracey.becker1@gmail.com said...

$100 a day?!? Holy moly. I'm in big doo doo. I definitely need someone to respond to that BlogHer sponsor plea I posted!

The really bad part about the whole "mostly women" thing? It's MOSTLY WOMEN. Which is great in that we'll party and have a blast, but there won't be anyone to buy me a drink!!

Not that I've ever accepted a drink from a man before. I am a MARRIED WOMAN folks. But I wouldn't turn one away, either. That's just a tad rude. More of a, "Oh thanks!" sip sip, show the ring, sip sip, walk away....

:)

Christy Killoran said...

I LOVE So You Think You Can Dance!!!!!!!!!!!!! AND, I love Tyce! I was laughing at the OJ comment too. I Love listening to Lil C speak, and I adore Adam Shankman. I am also beyond ecstatic that as soon as this season ends, they are beginning the next season. The dancers this season are so talented. Oh, did you laugh when Mary called Nigel an "English muffin"? Hysterical.

Related Posts with Thumbnails