Sunday, February 17, 2008

Television in the wee hours...

Heh. It's funny what you'll watch when you're up in the wee hours of the morning, unable to sleep. Did you know that there is a show called My Redneck Wedding on CMT? Did you know that it's a source of jaw-dropping guffawing (I thought about it. That is the ONLY word to describe it)?

I always knew that the world had different, um, "types" of people. I'm up for that. I also think that if you are big into hunting hogs with your beloved, well, cool. Enjoy. Though, to be honest, I never actually KNEW that there was such a thing as "hog hunting." I am a bit surprised at the mud wrestling in a wedding dress, and the pink shotgun for a wedding gift to your new bride, but hey, again, whatever floats your boat. I don't think, though, that guys who are shooting bottle rockets at each other during their, um, bachelor party, may be quite mature enough for matrimony. Call me crazy, but that's just a suggestion.

To further my amazement at the variety of people in the world, I was switching back and forth between the rednecks and "My Fabulous Wedding." Talk about double culture shock! I cannot fathom spending hundreds and HUNDREDS of thousands of dollars on a wedding. God, I can't even picture spending that much on a HOUSE. But, hey, again? Whatever floats your boat. I just have a problem with the brides that were acting as though it was a given that weddings not only could cost this much, but actually SHOULD! I personally liked the 19 year old who was marrying the 43 year old and was truly acting like a princess. I don't know her, and obviously, there is an incredible amount of editing going on, but it was a bit disconcerting to hear her dropping tons of money and saying "I'm so worth it!" Oh, honey... You haven't even LIVED yet, and have no idea how hard your future hubby had to work for all of that cash.... Sigh...

Yes, I am a bit green that I couldn't have the option of such a fabulous wedding, but honestly? I don't know that I'd ever be able to be SO extravagant. I was watching and thinking "You could totally do the same thing for half the price...." Penny-pinching, sale-finding me...
~~~~~
In another television related viewing, I finally got to see Across the Universe, last night. FAB.U.LOUS. Incredibly moving, beautiful cinematography. The music was brilliantly twisted throughout the movie, without making it too singy-songy, you know? My only gripe was the long section with the carnival dude... A bit too much for me, but I guess that was the point. They WERE on drugs, so it should be freaky, right? Mainly, I loved it. The actors were so talented, and the artists behind the scenes did some amazing stuff. Highly recommend it.

I am now listening to Patrick playing Pink Floyd on the guitar and thinking that I should get the house straightened before Justin's birthday party today. Just the family, but still, it'd be nice if the floor wasn't crunchy and we had food to serve. So, hope your Sunday is less rainy than mine is proving to be, and that you all had a fun weekend...

7 comments:

Melissa said...

Who knew there were so many different wedding shows on?? I can't imagine spending that much money on a wedding... we did everything as inexpensively as we could! And it turned out GREAT!!

Cheryl said...

Another thrifty lady here. We eloped, and our honeymoon consisted of driving across the country to move him from Arizona to Wisconsin. Pure romance. :)

Kamis Khlopchyk said...

Tracey, if you think those shows are bad you should watch My Sweet 16 on MTV. The 19 year old you speak of who was getting married.... picture that but with parents and a 16 year planning a birthday party.

It's North American excess at it's finest.

It's actually really sad when you think of the other 3/4 of the world.

:-)

Happy Birthday to Justin!

Kristi said...

Have you ever seen My Super Sweet 16? It's on MTV, and talk about entitlement! These teenagers' parents fork out $50,000 for a sweet 16 party!

Beck said...

Well, to be fair, that 19 year old WILL be earning that wedding later. Ew, age gap.

tracey.becker1@gmail.com said...

Whew! Party's over. Can I just say how proud I am of Justin? He got, I kid you not, 12 shirts, 3 pairs of pants, pajamas, and about 12 pairs of socks. And he was upset, but was cool.

Robin ~ PENSIEVE said...

Tracey,

Every time I go to Wal-Mart I remind myself some of these people are gonna be in heaven with me.... Your summary of what's on late-night makes me glad I sleep right through it (or at least toss and turn right through it).

You recently found my blog and so I tagged you for something really easy if you're interested--a cut and paste thing.

:)

Robin @ PENSIEVE

Related Posts with Thumbnails