Sunday, January 04, 2009

Calling all blogging superforces...

I find myself in a bit of a quandry and am relying upon you, Ultimate Blogging Forces, to help me out of this tight spot.

Justin is turning 10 this February (sob!). This is a big deal. Double digits and all... Plus, he still thinks I'm moderately cool. I had planned on capitalizing on that "coolness" factor and surprising him with a weekend trip for just the two of us (before it suddenly becomes very UNcool to spend a weekend away with dear old Mom...). The "plan" was to go up to Minnesota for white water rafting, which he and I would have LOVED. However, all the places I'm finding up there have a minimum age requirement of 12. Phhhbbbttt...

So.... I am terribly disappointed. The cost, the activity, the timing, the distance... ALL of it would have been perfect. I need your help to figure out an equally cool birthday surprise.

The basic requirements would have to be:

Cost - obviously, I cannot afford thousands of dollars for this. Or even hundreds. I need to be able to pay for it all for under $200 MAX.

Distance - the gas prices WILL go up, of this I am sure. So I need to stay within the Midwest area. Probably anywhere in Illinois, Wisconsin, Iowa, Indiana, and lower Michigan or Minnesota.

Fun factor - He and I both love being outdoors, and while our whole family enjoys it, the other two kids aren't great hikers yet. So, big hikes, mountain climbing (to a degree. No rock climbing for Justin), water activities, etc. are all ok. Even a water park is good, but we do those all the time as a family. We also love amusement parks, history, and science.

The ideas I have come up with, in the ten minutes it took me to type this as I make dinner and keep Justin from peeking over my shoulder, are:

Mammoth Cave or another big cave. That's in Tennessee, right?

Different amusement parks. I know there's one in Sandusky, OH. I don't think that drive would be too terrible...

Something about Indiana Dunes. There's an amusement park and other stuff to do there, I know. But what is a good idea to hit? How expensive is it?



HELP. Seriously. I was all hyped about rafting with my boy, and now I am feeling like a 10 day old balloon...

24 comments:

Allison said...

oh I wish I could help you while you are still cool enough to help! lol
I think you have great Ideas - I am not from anywhere near you, so I have no clue - but good luck!

Raising Maddie and Bob said...

Cedar Point is in OH. It is a roller coaster park super fun! I loved it there. I bet he would too. That my 2 cents.

Desiree said...

If I were turning 10 again I'd be VERY into any sort of theme park type thing.
In two years I hope you can do the rafting trip too!

Karen said...

Take him snowboarding in Wisconsin!

Kristin said...

Oohh...sorry, nothing specific comes to mind right this minute. That all sounds so fun!!! Some great ideas. It's hard to think of things "off season". You're a fun mom! I'll be waiting to copy some ideas!!! My boy turns 10 on his next b-day!

the mama bird diaries said...

Oh my god. I have no idea. I have two young girls. I'm no help. But i think it's awesome that he is psyched to take a trip with his mom!

Mighty Morphin' Mama said...

What a bummer! I hope you find something you are just as excited about:)

Rebecca said...

I live right by that amusement park in Sandusky, and I'll tell you - Cedar Point rocks! If he's into coasters, that's the place to go!

Meg said...

Cedar Point is great, but it doesn't open until the end of May. As for dunes, The Sleeping Bear Dunes in MI are much better than the ones in Indiana. And I believe the Great Bear? lodge in the WI Dells has a fantastic indoor water park if you want to go that route--you know, sitting by the pool with a tall drink while he romps around.

Good luck!

Gettysburg Mom said...

I think Mammoth Caverns is in Kentucky. My parents brought us there once coming back (or going to?) Missouri. I remember digging it.

Melissa said...

I am no help to you what-so-ever! I have never been to your neck of the woods!
Red is turning 10 tomorrow and it feels like a BIG deal to me too!! I went for a more simple approach though... he's getting an MP3 player :) A trip sounds so awesome though... I might have to steal your idea for next year!

Beck said...

Hm! That's fun - my gal is turning 10 this year, too, although she's already decided that I'm a dope. I can't think of anything, but I'm going to be stealing ideas from you for her big two digit day.

Maternal Mirth said...

I am NOT the outdoorsy type ... or I would have a fabulous idea worthy of a 10YO and the coolness required to hang with said 10YO.

Snowboarding? It's the only thing I got and I totally copied Kai.

Tonya said...

give me a call I just got a book for Christmas of amazing places to take kids. Wondering when you are wanting to go summer, near his birthday or something else???

Anonymous said...

Theme Parks are always a big hit with kids. Rides, junk food, games. Hey, can I come?

OHmommy said...

Gosh, I have no clue.

But what an awesome way to celebrate a birthday. Very cool.

Mama Smurf said...

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure Cedar Pointe (in Sandusky) is closed for the winter. If not, then that totally has my vote. You'll never see a better amusement park! Seriously!

Sorry I have no other suggestions.

Good luck!

tracey.becker1@gmail.com said...

I'm sorry. I meant that he and I would go on the trip either over spring break or early summer. A belated birthday gift, as February is waaaay too cold for outdoorsy stuff (other than snow related).

Marie said...

You could take him white water rafting here in Maine, I don't think we have those policies. Sorry, my only other thought is a canoe trip? With a night or two in tents? We have Maine guides out here, you hire them and they take you through the cooler parts of the state, the ones you want a guide for so you don't get lost!!

Vodka Mom said...

crap. We just use the local bowling alley, laser tag and ice skating rinks around here.

wish I could help!!!!!!!

Skiplovey said...

Shoot, I wish I had some suggestions for you. Theme parks sounds like a great idea though.

palmtreefanatic said...

Cedar Point all the way, open to close! Theres alot of ground to cover! and spring is best if you want to beat all the line waiting! They open around mothers day(may)vocart!

pita-woman said...

Southern Indiana, Cave Country Canoes. Too much fun!

anymommy said...

Cedar Point (in Sandusky) is a ton of fun. It's big, tons of roller coasters and right on the lake. Also, there's an awesome hotel there - I think it's called the Big Bear Lodge or Big Wolf Lodge. Anyway, it has one of those huge indoor water slide parks.

Related Posts with Thumbnails